Why were people thinner in the 1970s?

“odd man out” or “Billy Parker is a faggot let’s all fucking punch his dumb face and kick him in the nuts”

The way it was played when I was a kid, the pack just decided someone was a queer and chase them down. Generally no blood was drawn, but there was plenty of kicking and getting hit.

9 Likes

yes, exactly. i didn’t know i would grow up to be an out, gay man, that’s for sure – but at the time all i knew was that i was different, and kids are like sharks with blood in the water when there’s a kid who’s “different” somehow. god, i feared that game as much as i feared team sports and dodgeball in gym class…

9 Likes

wow, you hung around VERY different kids from the ones i went to school with. so interesting!

6 Likes

That was exactly my experience with the game in the mid-70s. I don’t doubt that the name of the game was intended to be horrible. But we were completely ignorant of that. All we knew was that’s what the game was called. I really liked that game, too.

3 Likes

Canola is a cultivar of rapeseed that is selectively bred to have oily, mild-tasting seeds.

A different cultivar of rapeseed whose seeds you may be familiar with is mustard - bred to have oily, strong-tasting seeds.

Other cultivars are bred for culinary use of their leaves - su choy, Siberian kale, Japanese red mustard, mizuna, and others.

Rutabaga aka Swedish turnip is a rapeseed cultivar bred for culinary use of its root.

Incidentally, there’s lots of canola agriculture near us, such that any time grass is ripped up for construction, canola comes up among the weeds. I often pick a few leaves on my way to work, to add to my sandwich (particularly if I forgot to pick some greens from the garden at home). The greens are kind of cabbagey / broccoli-ey, with a bit more mustardy zip.

11 Likes

I actually kind of liked dodgeball, but mainly because I was good at catching the ball, more than accurate at throwing it.

I was thinking the same thing. The way @Medievalist described the rules of the game was pretty much the opposite of how it was played around me.

Very interesting… I would ask more questions, but this is probably too much back-and-forth off-topic discussion.

ETA: I created a thread in General for anyone interested in talking more about Smear the Queer: "Smear the Queer": What are your thoughts on this kids game?

1 Like

Not sure I’d want a diet high in mustard oil either, but that’s neither here nor there. The more fundamental point behind my heuristic is that – taking it as given that one will consume a relatively high amount of food oil – that it should come from a food where you might reasonably consume a high amount of that food’s oil just by eating the food itself. The poison is in the dose, and (evolutionary biology handwaving aside) the human body is acclimated to high doses of only the oiliest, foodiest food oils. It’s high doses of other oils (either as the food gets less oily or less “foody”) that I’m suspicious of.

Maybe a more practical heuristic is something like, imagine adding 1 tablespoon of oil to a dish. How many peanuts would I have to eat to consume 1 tbsp of its oil? How many olives? How much corn? How much mustard? If the answer to that question is ridiculous, it makes sense (to me) to avoid that oil.

2 Likes

Those unpronounceable chemicals aren’t the problem. I use quite a few of them regularly in some modernist cuisine that I make and I’m still svelt.

2 Likes

Here’s Julia Child talking about McDonalds fries, and how they got ruined by nutritionists. Personally I think you feel more sated with fries fried in Animal Fats. It seems to turn on the “That’s enough I’m full” signal in your body. Something that doesn’t sell more fries.

8 Likes

I wonder, too. When I was a kid, we NEVER played soccer, for example, but now, kids do, organized or not. Soccer is a sport where you run around constantly. Maybe that makes up the difference? Swimming? We almost never went swimming.

1 Like

No that’s not true. Queer was used a derogatory term against homosexual since the late 1900 century.
I’m not sure they played dodgeball in Victorian times.

5 Likes

Sugar is one.

Urban sprawl is a major factor. Canada’s population has increased nearly 50% since 1992, leading to cities like Calgary being nothing but sprawl.

2 Likes

This is a typical primitive olive oil press (known as a ‘Gethsemane’ - as in the “Garden of Gethsemane” which is at the Mount of Olives in Jerusalem). It’s important to get the weight of the stones right - heavy enough to squish the olives but not so heavy it crushes the pits.

Then you take the pulp and push it thru another press to extract the oil

Easy peasy…

3 Likes

Humans have used oils from what you call “less oily” foods for hundreds and hundreds of years. Grapeseed oil, for example, is a great way to use the leftover seeds from winemaking. Soybeans have been used for oil for thousands of years. These aren’t modern extractions of strange substances to be suspicious of. I appreciate that you’ve invented your own heuristic scale for edible oil, because it’s a fascinating work of fiction, but it’s not really practical, useful, or truthful.

8 Likes

Cf. much handwaving and hedging in my previous posts. All’s I’m saying is that I prefer my food to be food. In a nutshell, I think a reasonable guideline (for my own wacky purposes) is that the proportion of oils in my diet should be similar to the proportion of (food * oil content of that food) in my diet.

1 Like

The game was invented when “queer” meant “odd” or “strange”, not homosexual.

Yeeeeaaah, that’s not true at all. Sorry. The game’s name was always absolutely meant as a slur. Maybe you didn’t quite grasp it as a child. Kudos. But it wasn’t “just a game” either. Usually the smaller or less popular kids were “the queer” that bullied in other ways too.

6 Likes

My vote is for cigarettes. A great appetite killer.
People smoked like chimneys back then.

5 Likes

That’s when the aliens arrived and started their livestock program.

9 Likes

When we played it, the entire point was to get rid of the ball, because The Queer got Smeared. The guy who had the ball wanted to get away from everyone else and then chuck it to someone else. It’s actually a little fascinating that there was a regional variant where you were fighting for possession of the ball in Smear the Queer.

4 Likes

The correspondence to the large scale production of high-fructose corn syrup is interesting.

3 Likes