Why women of color struggle to find a place in fandom

There’s all kinds of southern accents but i find most of them very endearing and love to talk to people from the south. They have the best demeanor and way of putting things. And “bless their heart” never ceases to amuse me as a polite FU to someone.

I think there’s something to your personal experience. It may be a lot to consider, but you could just about write a blog or book or something about this. These days it seems that the conversation about feminism and LGBQT tends to be quite toxic but i thought you should know that i found your posts very interesting. Either way i appreciate you taking the time to share :smiley:

3 Likes

Debra Jo Rupp played Mrs Kettner in She’s Out Of Your League. I haven’t seen this movie, but it looks godGODgodawful.

2 Likes

I thought it was… ok. It vascillates between boring, to cliche, to amusing at best. The core of the movie isn’t a bad idea, and there’s times the movie does that concept some justice in some heartfelt moments but the movie as a whole isn’t great.

Still better than anything by Adam Sandler though.

3 Likes

Setting the bar nice and low there, aren’t you?

7 Likes

He set the bar there himself lmao.

7 Likes

Still one of my favourite books by one of my favourite authors.

She was the first writer I encountered to explore the possibility that destruction of some segment (the percentage varied book by book) of the male population might be the only means of allowing women to live in safety.

4 Likes

Obviously easier for me as a guy, but I too zoom in on male choices in RPGs especially. I’ve never tried playing as a female character, and I never really thought about it. Yet I know guys who take on female avatars either regularly or half ‘n’ half. My theory is there are two style of play, one of which is where you want to see yourself in the game and one where you want be someone else in the game. I’m definitely the former.

2 Likes

I usually default to male avatars, but occasionally i will roll a female one. Some games will give different genders some slightly different bonuses, which i like since it encourages one to try out different playstyles.

3 Likes

A lot of games don’t do this, and I think it’s really worked to keep me locked on a gender. Part of it is that they’re a little afraid of criticism if you ding strength and raise wisdom or something like that. And nowadays they’d probably get it from both barrels with Gators coming out the woodwork for dinging a male stat. But I think games would be improved if changing the gender did more that affect the shape of your avatar’s chest. (Am I the only one weirded out when female non-mammal races like Sahuagins have boobs? Like when was the last time you milked a fish?)

3 Likes

Yeah I think if one got secondary bonuses it’d alleviate some of those issues. In the fallout games rolling a gender you have access to traits that give you new dialogue options based on your gender, or combat bonuses against the opposite gender.
I found female anthropomirphized characters to be pretty weird, especially when they use species that have multiple mammary glands but they choose to give them more human anatomy. Not that I want to see a wolf character with 6 large breasts, but it’s just an inherently weird thing

1 Like

I wondered the same thing about the Sylvari in Guild Wars 2. They’re plants that sprout from a tree, why are they gendered at all? And why do the “female” breasts bounce?

Then I discovered the tree they came from grew on some human graves, and that’s the “blueprint” it used. Still, plants with boobs.

(Also I still wonder if the Charr have six nipples but no one is telling)

3 Likes

The prickly sylvaris, with those cactus-like spines, always gave me the heebie-jeebies, too… imagine touching that. Ew.

Sometimes I like it when class = character, like in diablo or borderlands. So if you wanna play a sorc, you’re female. On the other hand, it sucks when the class I want to play is male… :wink:

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.