Why Youtube's algorithms push extreme content on every possible subject

For design, too (in spite of the pedigree that goes with it).

I’m not sure what you mean here. I’m not advocating a return to Lycos or Archie or AltaVista—I don’t see anyone doing that. Treating search results the same way that you’d ever treat search results seems adequate enough. Why not start there?

Or refine them further, by identifying fringe content and marking it as such.

This sounds great, but without vetting of content by actual experts, I think faith in algorithms alone seems magical and unjustified.

And I’m not sure what you mean there, if not that you’d prefer to do away with the use of other users’ browsing history to weigh results, or suggest related content. To me, YouTube feels rudimentary if it’s not doing this. I’ll search for “Welsh lullabies” as a starting point, but I want YouTube to lead me to other music that I never thought to look for. Those same algorithms lead others to Richard Spencer, but I can’t imagine using the site without them.

Vetting by experts would lead to accusations of political bias and censorship, so it would have to be decentralized, but of course features could be added to encourage cross-fertilization. For example, could YouTube show me what’s popular with the users who downvoted a video? Or even what video they’d vote for me to watch instead? A good thesaurus doesn’t just show you synonyms, it shows you antonyms as well.

If people click over to argue with the opposing viewpoint, that’s a lot more useful than if they end up in an echo chamber.

I don’t know what I did, but today YouTube keeps tossing far-right junk on my home page.

Not a problem. I can check who they are, toss them to the minions, and then block them on YouTube.

(I think most far-right non-profits have shown a spike in assets starting in 2015. I wonder what the 2016 numbers will look like?)

Who does that? Seriously, who?

1 Like

People who use the youtube TV app, then fall asleep :stuck_out_tongue:

Children.

3 Likes

I admit to leaving the room during a YouTube video, and being consternated by what was then autoloaded and playing after the video I wanted to see was done. It pissed me off because it was not interesting, and because I wanted to replay the first video, damn it!

1 Like

Parents, who delegate the job to YouTube. After all, nothing weird is going to pop up during a children’s program autoplay

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.