Wife of banker who stole billions loses bid to keep $20 million London mansion

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/02/05/wife-of-banker-who-stole-billi.html

3 Likes

Here we go, the government confiscate people’s home and putting them on the street. Terrible overreach by greedy bureaucrats.

13 Likes

I checked and I’m fresh out’a fu#ks for the wealthy and their terrible problems. Maybe she should try a Go Fund Me thing?

28 Likes

Just to illustrate how utterly insane London property prices have become, here’s a picture of the house in question:

It’s number 12, just to the left of centre. So this $20 million mansion is … a mid-terrace house. A very nice, five-bedroom mid-terrace house to be sure, with what looks like a basement and an attic conversion, but still, a mid-terrace house.

For fifteen million quid.

27 Likes

That’s a starter home price in So Cal.

7 Likes

Perhaps it has 5 sub-basements?

16 Likes

20 Likes

Wow, its like they hired the same architects as Bond villains and Cobra!

8 Likes

There was a project like that on Grand Designs

In the US on Netflix, it’s season 10 episode 6.
https://www.netflix.com/watch/81103436

Elsewhere it’s season 12.

4 Likes

chewing-gum-fucks-toborrow

14 Likes

…keeps head. What a sham.

6 Likes

There is a rumour that the Crossrail project accidentally tunnelled into a Russian oligarch’s underground parking garage which, having been built without planning permission, didn’t appear on any maps …

7 Likes

Eating the rich is sounding less and less like over reaction. Can we give a deadline to divest any earnings over $500 million, and then set the bbq for the day after that deadline?

The day following the bbq will of course be named as a world wide holiday dedicated to the end of Homelessness, Poverty, Starvation.

3 Likes

Will she still be able to apply for council housing? /s

8 Likes

I am 100% against civil asset forfeiture, as well as the UK’s version - the unexplained wealth order. Individuals should not have to be in the business of proving to a government where they got their money - the government should be in the business of having to prove instead that money is the product of a crime and therefore subject to seizure.

…which in this case it sounds like they did? So I guess I am not really understanding why they needed an UWO in this case.

(Also if you really want to be outraged don’t look at the price of the house, look at the 16M pounds spent just at Harrods in a decade.)

1 Like

One of Ben Aaronovitch’s “Rivers of London” books has a scene in such a house, with basically a lake in the sub-basement.

2 Likes

If the oligarch had sought planning permission it would have been refused, because the Crossrail route had been legally “safeguarded” to prevent conflicting developments since the 1990s.

3 Likes

I wonder how many tunnel into old, but still active sewers … and quietly reseal them? (So that no one makes a big stink about it.)

3 Likes

“The Unfashionable side… I thought there was something.”