Wil Wheaton's frank, brave speech about his depression and anxiety

I’ve been diagnosed with different variants of depressive disorders over the last twenty years—major depressive disorder (MDD), dysthymia, and depressive disorder NOS (Not Otherwise Specified). (Depending on your provider’s intent, this latter diagnosis could mean anything from ‘bipolar-ish’ to ‘I’m not sure what the hell’s going on but you’re definitely depressed’ to ‘this is the only way I can ensure any off-label prescriptions are covered by insurance’.)

I used to think I knew what to make of that. I really don’t, though. But I do have experience with recurrent lows—sometimes severe—and many of the medications indicated to treat that.

A few things in this thread I’d like to address, because I notice they come up fairly often in this ongoing conversation (and belated thanks to @SeamusBellamy for its most recent bump):

I see this kind of ‘vehement agreement’ a lot and often the true difference of opinion is not ‘either/or’ (and neither Matthew nor Marc have take such a dichotomous view) but rather how long the scaffold of medication should remain in place after remission has been achieved and sustained with lifestyle changes like those @MarcVader describes (all of which are essential to achieving remission).

The problem is with that term: remission. Remission is gradated and some of those diagnosed with recurrent depression find, over the years, that partial remission seems like the best they’re ever going to get. This becomes a source of insidious doubt. Am I really better? Was I ever? Is it that I’m not on the right meds? What if none of the meds that exist actually target the proximal cause for depression? Do we even know anything about this curse they call an ‘illness’? Is this as good as it gets?

This is why I’m so heartened that Wheaton mentioned meditation because that, along with some solid cognitive-behavioral therapy (CBT), can go a long way in approaching that last question.

Now that I try to imagine this happening to my mom, I’m beginning to understand your ‘basics first’ outlook. That would be something very difficult for me to handle.

For the sake of those that might deny themselves seeking help that might prove necessary, I will caution that ‘psych med’ is a broad term. Some psych meds, in particular first and second-gen antipsychotics, can hit people very hard in just the way you describe. Others, like lamotrigine, are quite gentle. It tears me to think that the medication your mom is taking is the only such med(s) she can rely on to get by—and if that’s truly the case, I hope there’s a med around the corner that can help her reclaim her life without diminishing it in the process.

I agree, though I’ll add one gradation here: telling people they have to use meds indefinitely is potentially damaging; suggesting they might benefit from short-term pharmacotherapy, however, is not unreasonable (provided it’s concurrent with psych counseling), especially if it seems like it might be the only sturdy scaffold on which to build a more connected, engaged, and healthy lifestyle.

They really are.

good-doggo

22 Likes

Re: medication…

9 Likes

This is what I came here to say.

It’s a lifelong process, but those two tools can offer some control where things feel hopelessly unmanagable.

10 Likes

I’m not a regular reader, but Randy is a genuinely sweet and wonderful guy despite what his comic might lead you to believe! I’ve gamed with him several times and my housemate has made a bunch of appearances in the strip.

5 Likes

Amen to that. But everyone is different and everyone has to find what works for them. For my father, the meds were great, they brought him back. For me, they made everything worse. What worked for me was: daylight, exercise, sleep, and learning to recognise what was happening before it was too bad. Cycling helped (and helps) a lot. Often alone, up hill and hard. It comes with daylight and makes sleep.

But the thing that made the biggest difference? Age. I grew older. My 20s were pretty damn scary. In my 40s, I don’t have nearly the same problems. You are probably different to me. I can only tell you that it happened to me, and now it happens less often, and is less ferocious when it does.

What scares me: my father suffered, I suffered, and now I have a son.

6 Likes

I’ve been there, lying in bed unable to move. It’s unpleasant. The key for me was to learn to see it coming, and take evasive action before it gets that bad. Forcing myself to do some exercise, or at least see some sunlight, before I can’t. If ‘exercise’ is walking to the end of the street and back, that’s okay. Learning was tough, but once you have it the habit becomes close to instinctual. I would advise anyone with depression to try meds, but also to remember that they might not be the answer. Basically try everything - something will help - but everything might include giving up giving up your prescription. If there is someone in your life who can watch, act as an observer, use them. Sometimes you need someone else to say “stop, enough, you’re getting worse not better”.

8 Likes

Or vice versa.

4 Likes

A good night’s sleep is most of the battle. If you can get that, you’re on the road out. (The idea that Truly Effective People need less than a full night is usually said by total assholes. Napoleon didn’t get much sleep, but that’s when he was in pain and losing.)

Don’t discount the power of music. You might not need your own Awesome Mix tape, but the rhythms can be helpful for breaking out when you’re stuck in a tight cycle of silence.

Key signs of depression:
If someone tells you that “if you’re depressed, all you have to do is some cleaning around the house and then you’ll feel better”, and you don’t get up and smack them or at least curse them as a simple-minded twit with no understanding, then you have depression.

10 Likes

I fancy I truly miss some of of those #tng episodes were quite shick and may even still be (make it) so

1 Like

Wil Wheaton is slowly becoming a national treasure.

1 Like

Amen to the good night sleep. The right meds helped me sleep and after 2 weeks of that I could start turning things around with professional help. It took training to identify mental traps and behaviours that were making things worse. Once I worked on my problems I was lucky enough to stop the meds and can now recognise the warning signs that mean I need help to cope with life.
Sleep was the key to turning things around for me. I needed decent rest to be able to do want I needed to stop being a zombie and return to realm of the living.

I also agree with music being the fuel to keep you going. When it is hard to get going I have different soundtracks to motivate me or just help me feel what I need to feel.

2 Likes

I was on modafinil for a few years for sleep-related issues. My doctor took me off them when I got enough of a handle on the underlying causes of those issues. Then I went through a bout of depression starting just a few months later. I suspect the modafinil masked/prevented/delayed that episode from happening while I was still on it. My depression was mild enough that I didn’t need to go back on any meds, but I totally agree that they can be extremely helpful.

Cats, too, if the human and cat’s personality are good matches. My cats have been a good antidote for despair.

4 Likes

Girls with Slingshots has some cross over with Something Positive, as Milholland and Danielle Corsetto often do cons together.

Cat and Girl can be esoteric at times, and doesn’t have a continuous story. Dorothy Gambrell also does a side called donation derby where she will accept donations and then draw how she spent the money she got sent! I’ve also met both Danielle Corsetto and Dorthy Gambrell (not at the same time). Corsetto did a signing at my local comic shop and Gambrell once toured her punk band and came to town, where they played at an Eritrean restaurant/bar. I hung out with them, and they were really nice folks.

Okay… sorry for all the derailing! Happy comicing!

1 Like

I’m glad. He seems like an awesome dude. It’s cool he lives in my state now, although I think he has serious reservations about heading back up here!

Also, Vanessa is my spirit animal. I need a monster costume to wear!

5 Likes

Some mood disorders are organic and helped by meds.

Treatment is different depending on whether the depression is chemical, traumatic, or situational.

Personally, I find that using very small amounts of cannabis before bed has a stronger and longer lasting effect on my depression and anxiety than any of the prescriptions I’ve had.

An ex of mine required specific meds to correct her neurochemistry- And both her dad and brother required the same ones, which would indicate it’s being genetic. The drugs helped immensely.

4 Likes

That gives me an idea. These were recorded in the 80s too.

brb, 4.5+ hours…

7 Likes

What works for me might not work for you; my kid does really well on the meds that make me zombified.

It’s past time that mental and emotional health were treated like physical health. You don’t choose to be born with diabetes or cancer hiding inside you, so why stigmatize someone who happens to have depression or OCD living inside of them?

11 Likes

But no more than 2 animals at a time. Once people start taking up collections of critters, things get silly very quickly.

But yes cats. Definitely cats.

I don’t think he or anyone was suggesting that. But I think it helps to share what has helped you in the hopes it can help others. If one hasn’t tried this or that, it may help you.

Mega Ran was in town and toured with some opening acts I hadn’t heard of but I liked, including None Like Joshua and Sammus. Sammus gave an extremely raw and personal set and left an impression. She mentioned her depression struggles and so it prompted me later to ask her how she was and to encourage her to keep at it, it gets better, and related my experience briefly.

Change rarely comes in big movements, but 100 little nudges.

I appreciate Wil’s candor. His description of depression felt similar to mine. And though I have feel that I am “better”, it strikes me that once you are able to claw your way out to the point of being functional again, you can still feel yourself slide down… sometimes I feel I am just lazy, but sometimes it feels like more.

1 Like