Wind so intense that these cyclists can't pedal into it

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/03/14/wind-so-intense-that-these-cyc.html

3 Likes

Run yesterdays leg the other way, set some records? :thinking:

10 Likes

We’ve secretly replaced these cyclists steroids with LSD, lets watch what happens.

37 Likes

I experienced wind very nearly too intense to pedal into it just a few weeks ago (there were only a few spots where the wind-tunnel effect forced me to get off and walk the bike).

This, however, was a whole nother thing…

9 Likes

Why are they complaining? It’s just like a water hazard in golf - just makes the game more interesting.

6 Likes

Reverse the course of course…

3 Likes

I was thinking that. I found another vid - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9fsaJ8o4ySg - more clips, and no audio (well, obnoxious mute-worthy music).

Without the context, it just looks like some very drunk cyclists!

3 Likes
1 Like

Michael McDonald’s backing vocals for “Ride Like the Wind” immortalized on SCTV:

Also, the SCTV sketch immortalized on Yacht Rock:

2 Likes

Well, I guess that explains their stubborn refusal to turn around.

God damned Mimies. I knew the Tour de FRANCE would take its toll on the sport

4 Likes

Wind so intense that these cyclists can’t pedal into it

Just in time for Taco Tuesday!

4 Likes

All your life you’ve never seen
A woman taken by the wind

6 Likes

In the Netherlands instead of cancelling it, they would program on that day the National Headwind Cycling championships, after checking the weather report for weeks for a suitable day. And ride against it on a city bike. Although the city bike might be better in this case, carbon frames seemed to have a tendency to fly.

3 Likes

Yeah but what’s the excuse of the guy on the Suzuki?

2 Likes

Raise your hand if you’ve forgotten how to ride a bike… ! !

I live in Cape Town, close to where that video was shot. That wind is a Cape Town feature. It gets called the Cape Doctor because it blows all the pollution out to sea and keeps the air clean. It’s more usually just called the Southeaster (because, yeah, direction), and only blows in Summer.

It’s a huge pain in the butt as a resident because it makes opening gates/doors very tricky while it’s shrieking around the house, and my street is perfectly aligned to function like a wind tunnel. I’m moving soon, and I won’t miss it.
A rather interesting fact about this year’s Cape Town Cycle Race is that it was due to be shortened due to residents of an informal settlement blocking the route with rubble as a protest against poor living conditions. Thanks to the wind, their protest got sidelined.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.