Winner of a prestigious literary award unabashedly used AI to write it

Sigh. “The only system we have” does not mean the same thing as “the only system we could have.”

While it’s correct to say, “it’s capitalism’s fault” every time a complex socio-economic problem arises (and yes we all need to see it, understand how capitalism works, etc. etc.), it’s not helpful in discussing solutions because, for better or worse, it’s the only system we have.

But staying on this theme: towards the end of his life Marx wrote “The Fragment on Machines”, which those interested in gen AI might also be interested to know looked at the growing importance of machinery (fixed capital) in production, compared to the diminishing role of individual workers (living labour). He talked about machines becoming repositories of accumulated knowledge and skill, objectifying the “general productive forces of the social brain.”

But he also talked about prospects for liberation, hinting at a potential future where technological development, freed from capitalist constraints, could provide the basis for human liberation and reduced working hours.

Paul Mason, in his book “Post Capitalism” looks at the Fragment as predicting a potential future where automation renders human labour obsolete, questioning the entire basis of capitalist production and its reliance on surplus value extracted from labour. This could, Mason thinks, destroy capitalism itself.

So, dear reader, do you find that stuff helpful? Do you see a connection between all that and gen AI? Because I don’t really - it’s all bit too theoretical given alternatives like Nightshade and model collapse are happening in the near term.

… and yet, paradoxically, telling people that they’re not being helpful is itself hardly ever helpful :thinking:

I apologise. I was not being helpful. May my post above help instead.

As an aside to all of this, I do some writing for a tabletop game publisher, and my most recent contracts have added a clause that states contractors can’t use AI for writing or art without explicit permission from the publisher. Presumably because you can’t copyright AI output and this is work for hire, but they’re still covering their asses.

3 Likes

Thanks for pointing that out. Seems to be important context that’s left out because the bigger story is AI was involved but no one wants to ask why. I found her comment about the amount of chatGPT used in writing to be oddly specific unless it was for a purpose.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.