With 5G, 2019 reached peak bullshit

what makes it 5g if it doesnt operate by the pre-detrmined 5g specs? are there any standards there that talk about 600 mhz 5g? i am asking cuz your company’s (and my provider’s) 5g almost looks like a workaround and not a real solution.

2 Likes

This year (the first year without cable) I watched the Macy’s Thanksgiving parade via a stream from Verizon, who peppered the broadcasts with ads for their new 5G network and kept bragging about all of its wonders, the amazing speeds at which it was letting this stream happen, etc… as things fuzzed out and went to static.

2 Likes

I was looking at buying a 5G Note 10 and then I realized when I researched what 5G actually is really isn’t very useful.
First of all it’s

is exactly where I stopped reading.

(Sorry, @RandomDude – It’s post-peak bullshit, and I just don’t care.)

Strangely, the organization specifying 5G still calls itself the the 3G Partnership Project (3gpp). I lobbied to have them update it to 4gpp when I was working on LTE, but I guess they would have had to redesign the coffee cups or something.

2 Likes

5G can cure all the cancers that 4G caused!

3 Likes

Brought to you by 3gpp.

You’re correct in that 5G isn’t one thing. There’s the mmWave part, which is the part that will give gigabits per second provided you’re standing in exactly the right place, i.e., within 50ft of the base station. Then there’s the 600MHz / UHF part, which is intended to augment existing low band coverage. Then there’s the URLLC part which is being pitched as the IoT solution. Then there’s the sub-6GHz part which is supposed to balance coverage and throughput. Basically, LTE is finally deployed about everywhere it will ever be deployed, and this is what’s next.

3 Likes

No one forces you to read others comments.

Besides, I stopped giving a shit myself about it long before I posted that.

I stopped caring before you did. Thats what makes me cooler :roll_eyes:

4 Likes

Not technically a phone, but my Palm VII had a WAP browser in 2000 as well. :slight_smile:

Ah, the salad days of 2.5 and 2.75G cellular data networks. When silver AOL discs still littered the land, and some people still had hope that the internet would make the world a better place! LOLZ!!!

2 Likes

You seem to know what you’re talking about, so I’ll ask: Are all of the major providers now full-on LTE Advanced? I remember when that was still what it took to officially be considered “4G,” before they (3GPP) changed the definition of course, ha!

1 Like

Nothing like marketers to turn technical standards into a completely farcical shitshow. See also: AT&T, and T-Mobile, back when they were trying to be bought out by them, labeling 3G as 4G, a practice that continues to this day (at least where they haven’t yet shut off the 3G).

1 Like

Calling this “peak bullshit” is basically opening a door and waving to Trump to step through.

Dude pegs the meter. We’ve been in the bullshit red zone for so long we can barely smell it.

1 Like

The industry, if not the consumer, seems to be living in 1999, another mad year for technology when IT nerds convinced company bosses that a millennium date change in computer systems would reset clocks, wipe out records and trigger the end of civilization.

That is a gross mischaracterization of Y2K. Just for starters:

1. The media made into a silly apocalypse scenario riddled with nonsensical predictions, not “IT nerds”

2. The risks were real

3. The reason nothing happened is because a whole lot of responsible companies got a whole bunch of hardworking engineers to fix millions of lines of code. The problems were prevented because the warnings were heeded and acted upon.

So disappointing that the event is now remembered as a “pointless panic by IT nerds” instead of the grand success story of collective action that it was.

11 Likes

I came to say this as well. I knew people who worked on the problem in 1998 and 1999.

I imagine if they’d fixed the levees in New Orleans we’d all be looking back at Katrina wondering what all the doomsayers were on about.

10 Likes

…or that silly ozone hole. What a bunch of phony hype that was. /s

8 Likes

Right? It’s not like they didn’t test their applications to see what would happen when the date clicked over. They did test them, and they knew that it was going to cause a lot of problems.

Now, I’m keen to believe that Y2K-driven tech spending was a big part of the tech boom and bust of circa-2000. Not sure if this is a perspective shared by many, or even rooted in reality, but it certainly makes sense to me, based on what I saw.

In my high school, the early 1980s, they offered computer courses (BASIC and COBOL) on a PDP-11. I can remember my teacher warning about Year 2000 issues then. Fast-forward ten years, and I was working on a factory production management system. We were using two-digit years against my advice. Guess what I had to do in the summer of 1999? :slight_smile:

About 2007 or so, I set up the SIMH emulator and SYSGENed an emulated PDP-11 to revisit old times. Lo and behold, RSTS/E 7.0 was not even vaguely Y2K-compatible; it wouldn’t even boot with two-digit years less than (if I remember right) 75. They had to save those precious bytes in the file table entries…

2 Likes

That’s a good question. The big feature in LTE-A was carrier aggregation. To enable it, an operator either had to acquire new spectrum or re-farm existing spectrum. New spectrum is expensive, and the case for re-farming existing spectrum was never clear to me since the difference in efficiency between separate and aggregated bands isn’t all that great. CA can show higher peak rates, but I don’t know that peak rates are really meaningful in the field.

1 Like

I certainly knew someone who knew COBOL who made a lot of money leading up to Y2K! (They also knew it was a one time thing and lived like it was all the money they’d have for the rest of their life)

2 Likes

I mean, if you know and can read and program in COBOL well today, then you can live like a king. The US banking system’s ACH infrastructure all runs on ancient COBOL.

2 Likes