Woman stuck by needle in Target in parking lot awarded $4.6 million

It is more befuddlement than outrage. Unless, like I said, there was trash everywhere showing they neglected to try to keep it clean.

Getting a judge or jury to agree to something doesn’t mean you’re actually right. Also see jury nullification.

1 Like

If you pay more for a position, you will attract a wider selection of candidates. I don’t think intentionally choosing “dumb” security people and police really makes a lot of sense, but the only way you’ll incentivize more educated people to go for the positions if you’re willing to pay more. Are you saying that increasing pay beyond minimum wage (or close) is NOT going to widen your selection of job candidates?

I agree, you’re definitely befuddled.

2 Likes

that’s a ridiculous assumption. for all you know, the needle was dropped 5 minutes before the kid picked it up. should target have someone on patrol constantly to pick up garbage because some idiot might hurt themselves? when does personal responsibility enter into the argument?

3 Likes

Target is one of the few retail stores that requires its managers to have university educations. And they are paid more than minimum wage.

(I have … stories … from when they attempted & failed to expand into Canada.)

2 Likes

Yes, like most stores do.

when does personal responsibility enter into the argument?

At the moment Target bought the land on which the store was built.

4 Likes

Agreed.
I’m not sure if this would be a civil matter or something through WSIB (workers comp) or other government agency though…

1 Like

Me too. I hope the prices I pay for toilet paper at Target go up in order to pay a woman a significantly higher rate than she incurred in medical expenses. I should be so lucky to get stabbed by a needle in the Target parking lot. I could retire now.

2 Likes

let me guess - the Three Letters From Hell?

2 Likes

I just hope the next time someone sues Target for medical expenses that
Target very arguably should pay that Target goes ahead and pays those
medical expenses. Frankly your hopes on the issue sound a little strange
and inconsistent, although I suppose mine sound a little utopian.

I’m saying that you’re jumping to the conclusion – while presenting no evidence to support the position – that the problem with security guards not being able to make complex legal decisions is somehow that not enough people applied for the job.

Five minutes before this happened, I think I saw a guy wearing dark glasses and a Wal-Mart t-shirt chuck a handful of needles out his car window as he drove by.

2 Likes

“I think most parents would absolutely swat a dangerous item out of their
child’s hands – even if it’s not the best response, it is definitely
the most common.”

The saddest thing about this story to me is the needle wasn’t that dangerous. Research in hospital settings says that if a nurse who has just used a needle on a patient with both HIV and Hepatitis C then accidentally sticks themselves with the needle, the nurse has a 0.035% chance of contracting HIV and 6% chance of contracting HCV. That’s with a needle that was just used with fresh warm blood in it, not one that’s been lying on the ground for some indeterminate period - the transmission risk plummets by the minute. From a public health perspective I think I’d actually be more freaked out seeing my kid play with a cigarette butt than a used needle. Not that I’m criticizing the parent here - popular culture and the early years of the AIDS epidemic taught us all the somewhat misleading lesson that needles are deadly objects, so her reaction is completely understandable.

4 Likes

Not just anyone can leave a discarded hypo. It’s presence implies people are shooting up in their parking lot, which is something a reasonable security guard should notice and do something about. If this is a common thing, they may be maintaining a public nuisance etc.

2 Likes

i’ve never seen any store that does that. check everyone once in a while and pick stuff up, sure. stand outside and constantly monitor? no.

i love how everyone wants to blame someone else for their poor decisions. i choose to slap a needle out of the hand of my child? it’s target’s fault!

7 Likes

or maybe a diabetic accidentally dropped it. but let’s go with heroine and security guards at all department stores.

6 Likes

Using sarcasm to respond to absurdity will do that.

Wonder Woman is probably expensive to employ and can’t be everywhere at once. You should probably just go with security guards. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I don’t know…how long do you have to keep getting tested to ensure you don’t get sick? Are those medications that she took 100% effective? Because if not then I’d say that’s torture as you wait the decade to find out if you contracted HIV.

3 Likes

I really want to know how they came up with that 4.6M+ number.

That seems awfully excessive for such a minor injury. I think the biggest thing to be concerned about would likely be Tetanus?

When you look at the data for accidental stick injuries in a “found in a community” setting the risk of acquiring HBV, HCV or HIV is statistically very low. Granted, it’s still scary as all hell. I’ve been stuck accidentally and the fear is real. No question.

But 4.6M+ worth of fear? Not that it’s any of my business, but I’m curious as all get out now.

1 Like