Insurance company pays lawsuit settlement in coins

[Permalink]

1 Like

You’ve broken the font on the rest of the page with the post

1 Like

Hard to believe that a company that employs allegedly belligerent employees would stoop to such theatrics.

Edit: looked up BBB rating:
Adriana’s Insurance Service, Inc. Business Review in Rancho Cucamonga, CA - Central California BBB

18 Likes

I assume the insurance company is a corporation, and corporations are people now, so “Christ, what an asshole!” would seem to apply here.

25 Likes

I laugh when people do this to companies and gov’t agencies they find annoying or disagreeable. Can’t help but chuckle when one of them turns the tables and does it back. :slight_smile:

1 Like

i wonder how they’d respond if he filed a claim after hurting himself lifting those heavy buckets.

21 Likes

In sensible jurisdictions (which I discover the US is not, in this as in so many things) the quantity of coins that constitute legal tender is limited, precisely so that you don’t have to take buckets of coins as settlement of a debt. You can’t say “Come back with a cheque”, but you can say “Come back with bank notes (or at least high-value coins)”. In the UK, for example, pound coins and above are legal tender for any amount, but 20p and 50p coins are only good to £10, 10p and 5p to £5 and 2p and 1p to 20p.

17 Likes

I think that he should also claim that there was just a couple thousand bucks in the buckets and demand the rest of the payment.

24 Likes

This is definitely what he should do. You want a paper trail, cut a cheque.

14 Likes

Woot! Free buckets!

12 Likes

How does a company this petty stay in business at all? Oh, wait, you said insurance. Never mind!

12 Likes

y’all commies can pry my nuisance coins from my cold dead hands.

Isn’t is required that for amounts over a certain limit that the coins be rolled?

1 Like

I would hire a truck to get it to the bank and sue for the costs.

1 Like

This would, however, be an extremely hilarious payment method if the whole “reason” the insurance person got belligerent in the first place was because the older gentleman tried to buy the insurance with a bunch of coins.

NOTE: I’m not excusing any behavior, just noting the possible hilarity inherent in this story!

7 Likes

If they really wanted the message to sink in, they should have paid him in small bits of coins or, even better, in Bitcoin.

1 Like

You know you never pay cash without a receipt, for a very good reason. The only evidence I see is that photo, and it looks to me like… oh, about $100. He needs to go back to court for the other $20,900, plus interest, plus pain and suffering. They bring more buckets, go back again. Soon he will be the new owner of an insurance agency.

9 Likes

Because when the powerful act like dicks to the powerless, it’s EXACTLY AS FUNNY as when the reverse happens.

25 Likes

Do you know any of the details of this case beyond what was in the story, which spoke solely with the recipient of the coins?

It’s possible he was every inch the asshole to the insurance company as the (Comcasts, Phone Companies, Town Clerks, etc.) are to the consumers who end up furiously paying their bill in coins. We don’t know.

I imagine that for it to have reached the point where an insurance company would do this, that it had to have gotten pretty heated.

For “goods and services”, yes, but not for “debts”.

Snopes actually does a pretty decent analysis of the law on this here: Debt Payment in Pennies | Snopes.com