Man's final paycheck comes in form of 91,500 oil-covered pennies dumped in his driveway

Originally published at: Man's final paycheck comes in form of 91,500 oil-covered pennies dumped in his driveway | Boing Boing

6 Likes

What a crummy move!
But this…

This seems highly inefficient. Couldn’t they just rent a stand cement mixer and toss the pennies in with some solvent? Still a pain in the ass, but at this point, sounds like they need to clean them to cash them and that would be way quicker. I’d do: cement mixer, dump onto screen and hose off, let dry. Repeat.

13 Likes

A OK Walker Autoworks

I think we can all guess what the “A” stands for.

28 Likes

Dick move. Hope that company gets utterly blackballed; this needs some local boost to that effect.

27 Likes

Sounds like a rock tumbler for coins, which is not what you want.

1 Like

Rock Tumblers take weeks, though. I think with the solvent, they’d be clean in a matter of minutes. And we aren’t adding any sand…that’s the part that polishes the rocks.

7 Likes

You’re probably looking at $50 - $60 to rent a mixer for the day, plus the PITA of having to go get it and return it.

7 Likes

Legally speaking I believe that would be money laundering.

78 Likes

36 Likes

In some places, I don’t know about Georgia, coins above a certain amount are not considered legal tender, and no one is obliged to accept them as payment. That means a bank might refuse to cash these coins, but also that Mr. Flaten could refuse the pennies and charge his former employer with littering.

Yes. I doubt if the satisfaction of that petty move will be worth the lost business when word gets around, or the the loss of good mechanics who can find a better employer.

30 Likes

the solution, as presented on the AOWalker website itself…

19 Likes

A HA HA HA HA HA!
“I’d like $915 worth of oil change gift cards please.”

14 Likes

Sounds like Walker pays their PR consultants in pennies.

7 Likes

Yes, I’m aware how renting cement mixers works, but thanks for explaining it to me. :roll_eyes:
It’s this, or 1.5 hours per “several hundred coins” which could be anywhere from $9 to $15 I’m guessing. :woman_shrugging:t2:

4 Likes

Agreed that it would be worth the money if it takes him that long to do a few hundred but I bet you could get similar results with a couple of 5 gal buckets. Orrr you could take your own sweet time and then sue the co for the labor… eh probably just get more pennies.

5 Likes

Yeah any business that preemptively calls their customers nitwits on their websites, well I just go somewhere else.

21 Likes

At first I did “not see” the dog whistle in their logo and font

Now I can’t “not see” it.

4 Likes

It would piss me off to no end to be spending my own money money to collect what I was already owed.

2 Likes

I agree it was a shitty move. But, time or money, seems like you need to pick one. From the worker:

1 Like

All I can think is the employer also had to do some work to screw over the ex-employee, unless he’d been hoarding pennies in a old oil drum for years.

The best outcome would be for the employee to find a rare 1943 copper in there.

8 Likes