Man's final paycheck comes in form of 91,500 oil-covered pennies dumped in his driveway

Seems like the local “boost” is already happening, take a look at the recent reviews:

7 Likes

“I think that’s going to be a lot of work for money I’ve already worked for,”

The message here, you are a worthless slave cog in our money machine.

BTW: Pennies make a great ammo for a wrist rocket, just saying ya’know…

13 Likes

one more reason to get rid of the penny; had it been nickles this poor soul would only have to clean 18,300 coins

2 Likes

People do this all the time. It’s called ATM fees. Avoidable with some effort or convenience, but not always.

4 Likes

Would you trust your car to that place, especially when they were burning about the joke turned on them?

A driveway covered in 91,500 greasy pen… Oh, pennies, right.

1 Like

From a recent Yelp review:

“They stole the pennies from my cup holder.”

22 Likes

Can’t see anything on FB, but I hope the company is getting the negative feedback they deserve. What’s next, an AITA post from the owner?

4 Likes

Are they too oily to dump in a Coinstar machine?

There’s a coin shortage, so the bank should be thankful to get them, even if they’re a little slippery.

1 Like

The ex-employee says that it’s hard to wash off with dish soap and vinegar, so I’d think they are way too oily and would ruin a coinstar sorter. Since the employer/jerk is an auto repair place it may be waste oil from oil changes or some such. That goes beyond malicious compliance into non-compliance I’d think :-/

9 Likes

Thats a good idea, or even just a large colander, Dawn, and doing batches in the sink. You don’t have to get them 100% perfect to cash them in. Unless they used something nasty like grease or cosmoline that you really have to get off with a solvent… in which case some same process but with tubs, colander, solvent, and done out side. Then hose off the solvent.

2 Likes

I think he definitely needs to report to the Department of Labor that it was still short. Because the employer didn’t bother to deliver it in a verifiable form I doubt he would be able to prove it wrong.

14 Likes

He also treats customers well.

4 Likes

Sounds like a hazmat violation to me!

12 Likes

Fortunately, the owner has reflected on the situation and has come up with The Real Culprits:

“Upset that the local news media had given Flaten a platform to reveal what had happened, an angry Walker then told the reporter that “you guys are what’s wrong with the world, now get the fuck off my property.””

It’s the media’s fault!!!

:-/

19 Likes

Also I believe the banks are required to do their own “coin cleaning” before it goes back into circulation. They use a tumbler and detergent. If this dude added a little citrasolve the job could be done with a colander and a large plastic bin.

2 Likes

yeah, there you are paying the convenience, here you are paying for the inconvenience

i was thinking illegal dumping. it usually carries a much bigger fine and sometimes jail

10 Likes

I bought ~400 titanium bar stock cut offs from ebay. They arrived almost dripping with coolant oil.

Dishwasher to the rescue! But not without consequences. “What the heck are these!?!?!”

Wife was not happy, but they were squeaky clean!

6 Likes

Good. Also damage to the driveway, which motor oil will certainly cause. Get Mr. AOK to pay for repaving.

8 Likes
  1. Gather up pennies, uncleaned, into some plastic buckets. Weigh pennies.
  2. Do enough calculations to be able to prove value of pennies to a skeptical third party.
  3. Head over to A OK, and offer to sell $900 of pennies to customer of A OK for $800, with explicit condition that pennies immediately get used to pay customer’s A OK bill.
  4. Join Reddit, write post on r/MaliciousCompliance.
12 Likes

Second UHF reference today I’ve run across!

Also, a couple of 5 gallon buckets with secure lids, solvent and/or dish soap and let the kids roll them up and down the driveway for a few minutes.

4 Likes