Women routinely caught fire in the mid-19th century

7 Likes

When I was a kid, shop teacher my school who was wearing jeans and had been doing something with gasoline caught fire while striding across a parking lot under the hot sun. He was okay, as people got him out quickly, but he suffered second degree burns.

1 Like

Supposedly is a legit photo, if Huff Post can be trusted.

3 Likes

I certainly have no doubt that as many gradations of sexual orientation existing now also existed way back when, but the heads – especially the guy – look pasted on to me… and something about the size of his head relative to his hands.

qV1BzKb

7 Likes

“Oh, the hue? Mauve nightie.”

2 Likes

I will never, ever tell someone what to wear. As a dapper dandy I understand how fashion relates to one’s identity. I would never be prescriptive about ones dress code.

A Tweed pencil skirt and fitted jacket, made from highland cow wool is elegant, fairly fire proof, water resistant, and can be worn in both casual and formal settings.

(Mostly I don’t want people to go up in flames)

6 Likes

Agreed. Up in smoke, right on. Up in exothermic chain reactions, Sheol’s coals noes!

2 Likes

Who would have guessed that a case of “the vapours” could be flammable?

5 Likes

Certainly stewardess wearing nylons tends to be a bad thing if there is a fire.

Restrictive clothing for women FTL*.
When in an emergency women have to take off their shoes and hoist their skirts round their waists in order to run, you know there’s something very wrong going on.

*Opposite of FTW, not as in V>c.

2 Likes

Under no circumstances with I tell someone what to wear, it ain’t gonna happen. I choose to wear suits that are restrictive because that fits my identity. That is my choice and style, and it is not for the lose.

3 Likes

Anyone who likes to sniff glue?

1 Like

Also… and @milliefink and @hecep, there was plenty of gender bending and weirdness in the victorian era:

8 Likes

Maybe it’s a 19th century photo alteration? Huff Post is presenting the image as genuine, but they don’t cite a source.

1 Like

bad news, guys.
Using google image search, I tracked it down to deviantart. Eves-rib even tags it as photomanipulaton.

According to the artist, this is the original:

Now, it may be that this is an attempt to erase a part of history, and we’e all been fooled by a double bluff, but…

4 Likes

Thx, @jerwin.

Right amount of blur 'round their noggins.

2 Likes

Ha, made ya look! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

2 Likes

I was alluding to corporate dress codes and social pressure.

Yes, but in a good way, and we’re all okay with it. I certainly am.

2 Likes