Words of wisdom from 1994's 'alt.2600 Survival Guide'

Originally published at: Words of wisdom from 1994's 'alt.2600 Survival Guide' | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Ah, a lovely relic from those last halcyon days before the transition to Eternal September.

17 Likes

When giants like Joel Furr strode the land and the Green Card Lawyers could get disbarred for spamming the globe.

7 Likes

Not to mention the Zumabot, which prompted the alt.cancel.bots solution.

8 Likes

Ah usenet. An elegant forum for a more civilized time.

rec.sport.paintball forever! (Still FB friends with several people I met on Usenet!)

8 Likes

And when this used to work:

Kibo.

9 Likes

Searching back I mostly find I was participating in mailing lists in the early 90s, cypherpunks and nanog.

6 Likes

It still works occasionally - I think I summoned him once on this very bbs. Have to check, but I don’t really post anywhere else.

ETA:

2 Likes

Legendary.

3 Likes

I cringe at most of my old usenet posts. But then the 20s are not great for nerds…

Speaking of, didn’t you used to be able to search usenet through Google? How does one even search old usenet content these days?

6 Likes

I found some of my old ones pretty quickly by googling the names of the group and my old email address username.

There are other ways to search more thoroughly, which I know because a workplace stalker printed reams of my old posts and put them in peoples work mail boxes.

ETA. The groups still exist, sort of. https://groups.google.com/g/alt.folklore.urban/

5 Likes

Modify the text and include it in the BBS training. Could even go a step further and give out a patience badge if a user manages to bite their tongue (fingers?) for two months before posting.

2 Likes

:scream: I hope that got resolved in a … reasonable way!

Heh. Thanks for the usenet search tips. I found a few… here’s one post from 1995

I think a 24-bit 640x480 display with a high object count could run at a good framerate on that machine. Fast 3D hardware is the key.

Oh, the glory of PC gaming in 640×480 at 24 bit color!

4 Likes

df960124

They’ve cut off some newsgroups. I don’t know if they’ve blocked the archives too.

banned

4 Likes

A “room temperature IQ” - is this why some parts of the world still use °F instead of °C?

7 Likes

Your Usenet and my Usenet was clearly a very different place.

5 Likes

You still can. The rotted out husk of Deja News underpins Google Groups and you can use that to find Usenet posts going back decades. Although based on their baffling design decisions over the past decade it’s clear that they would rather people not do this.

7 Likes

Well, that was tongue in cheek and riffing on a Star Wars quote.

But overall, yeah, my nook on Usenet was pretty well run.

Like I said, still friends with several people who started there, even more from IRC. Usenet is where put together a Team Internet Paintball team and participated in the first Skyball, which was tournament in the SkyDome in Toronto. We played pump guns STOCK CLASS (10 round tubes) vs semiautos with 200rnd hoppers. It was a good time! We managed to actually win a game and the crowd was cheering like an actual sporting event. Good times.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.