WRITE 'N' FIGHT is a new video game where famous authors punch each other

Originally published at: WRITE 'N' FIGHT is a new video game where famous authors punch each other | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Make that Octavia E Butler punching Lovecraft and you’ve got a deal.

11 Likes

Morley Callaghan punching the snot out of Hemingway - like he did in 1929

1 Like

To Charles Dickens (on The Mystery Of Edwin Drood): “FINISH HIM!”

1 Like

No women writers in the lineup so far…

No Brontes, no Mary Shelley, no Willa Cather. Sounds like it sucks.

14 Likes

Yah, came to say the same. The screenshots are lines of white men that, honestly, I can barely tell apart. :roll_eyes:

10 Likes

sassy alcohol GIF

5 Likes

Woof, those animations are rough. And the move sets look pretty bland from what they show. As “clever” an idea it might be, I think the 36% is deserved.

1 Like

Apparently this game creator’s idea of “the greatest writers of all time” is exclusively white men. They can miss me with that bullshit.

6 Likes

And no Toni Morrison! James Baldwin! Maya Angelou! Zora Neale Hurston! What a surprise someone with such a limited cultural and creative vision made a boring shitty game that can’t even muster more than a 35% rating from gamers who are typically happy to give a pass to shit that caters to white men.

4 Likes

I just looked at the link above and the first author was Alexandre Dumas who was Black. Though I guess the game writer didn’t know this either!

ETA
I was quite old before I realised the characters Heathcliffe and I think Mr Rochester in the Bronte’s novels were both Black too.

In fairness to their dad I would have changed my name from O Prunty too. One of those Irish names that when you Anglicise it ends up really horrible.

3 Likes

Lots of people don’t seem to know that, sadly.

3 Likes

For sure and my post wasn’t meant as a gotcha but rather as an invitation to some of the wonderfulness of the world. Lots of historical Black artists and figures and lots of historical women are erased by our ignorance of them. Sure the world was and is racist and sexist but we need to remember those people whose identity has been forgotten even as they are in plain sight.

That said I read The Count of Monte Cristo last year and I recommend that nobody else does! As I may have said elsewhere about 19th C writers: they got paid by the page and fuck me does it show! American pulp in the early 20thC revolutionised literature, much for the better in my opinion.

4 Likes

The unabridged version is a mighty slog; there are some abridged translations that make it much more digestible to modern palates.

4 Likes

Let me revise my recommendation to “read one of those!”

3 Likes

Oh yeah! For sure!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.