Wuhan virus appeared in 1981 thriller novel

1981 it was around 4 million.

2 Likes

Nope.

3 Likes

Also, Wuhan is a major university city in China, so having advanced biolabs there just makes sense.

6 Likes

So just plain ol’ idiocy, then. (And apparently a more complex form of idiocy than I realized… they managed to bring Canada into it?!)

1 Like

Yeah, and Tom Clancy predicted the use of airliners as suicide weapons.

At least if you leave out a whole lot of details, anyway.

5 Likes

The first rule of time travelers is to not

6 Likes

Many years ago, I was on my way to work, reading that Tom Clancy book where someone flies a jumbo jet into the white house (or is it the senate building? Something like that.)

When I got off the tram I noticed that all the newspaper kiosks had headlines about some big disaster in America - and yes, that was 9/11. The blurring between my book and reality felt very odd.

4 Likes

Stephen King (writing as Richard Bachman) got there first.

3 Likes

Hasn’t Dean Koontz written like 500 books? I mean, he has to be right sometimes. Even if it was only in that it was a virus that originated in Wuhan and literally nothing else.

2 Likes

3 Likes

This reminds me of Robert Anton Wilson’s “Schrodinger’s Cat,” which has a subchapter that could easily be said–but never provem–to anticipate Bush II’s NSA spying programs.
“GWB-666
He knows when you are sleeping
He knows when you’re awake”

That shit stopped me in my tracks reading it years ago.

Paranoid.

Fair enough. Still a huge city whether then or now.

1 Like

The source of all words is a mysterious place indeed!

2 Likes

Oh, so THAT’S where Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Paranoid) got that theory, which he keeps spouting all over the place.

Importantly, the original version of this novel published in 1981 called the virus “Gorki-400” and was from The Soviet Union. It wasn’t until the 1996 revision where Mr. Koontz changed it to “Wuhan-400” and moved it to China. Kinda makes sense seeing that by 1996 the Soviet Union was no longer and China was seen as more of a threat.

2 Likes

Very few seem to remember the X-Files spinoff The Lone Gunmen which had a government conspiracy attempting to crash a jetliner into the World Trade Center. It aired a few months prior to 9/11.

Edit: The plot’s aim was to blame the crash on terrorist groups in a bid to start a profitable new war, according to wikipedia. My memory of the show is a bit fuzzy since it was cancelled soon after.

3 Likes

Or did I mean predictive programming?

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.