Yamaha betting that we've hit the "5-disc CD changer" stage of the retro audio technology cycle

Originally published at: Yamaha betting that we've hit the "5-disc CD changer" stage of the retro audio technology cycle | Boing Boing

2 Likes

Sony's PlayStation 1 Was a Better CD Player for Audiophiles Than $6,000 Models in the Mid 2000s

7 Likes

I’ve actually been in the market for a CD player for a few months now. I thought it’d be easier to find something inexpensive, new or old. Most of the new stuff on the market seems to be “audiophile” equipment. I’m happy to see the consumer audio companies get back into this market, although the price is pretty high! I’m likely going to buy a Tangent CD II if they ever go on sale.

3 Likes

Get yourself a Sony BDP-S6700 blue ray player. Relatively inexpensive and it handles dvd, BR, regular CD and SACD. it has digital out so you can use an external DAC (digital audio converter - $99 schitt modi to whatever your wallet can handle) or use the built in DAC.

6 Likes

No Display?
I was looking at this Sharp, though it looks like it might be out of production now…

2 Likes

If Sony isn’t up-selling special $1500 gold-plated cables to whomever buys this thing it’s missing an opportunity.

4 Likes

I’m not fussed about a lack of display. I don’t find I need it with a single CD system. That Sharp would tick the boxes, but I don’t see it in Canada.

3 Likes

I wondered about going that route, but was afraid it would require a TV to start playing music. Is that not the case?

2 Likes

It should have the usual buttons on the remote, so no.

However, if you have HDMI-CEC enabled, you will find it turns the entire system on when you insert a disc. Even my old PS3 does that when playing an audio CD.

2 Likes

I kind of wish I hadn’t given away all my TEAC, Sony and Harman Kardon hi-fi equipment. Sometimes I just want to play music and even the best ‘smart’ speakers and streaming services are too much trouble.

I have to admit to being tempted by this - but then I’d want a cassette deck and as TechMoan has said on numerous occasions, there aren’t any decent cassette mechanisms being manufactured any longer.

And if I get a cassette deck, shouldn’t I really think about a turntable - oh lord, what have I done???

7 Likes

Sony would sell you a regular cable priced as if it were gold plated and woven by elves.

2 Likes

I still have my 5-Disc changer. And the boom box I used to hook it up to. It’s in a box collecting dust. The Changer is a lower end Panasonic, so it’s not very desirable. The boombox is a Fisher with detachable speakers.

1 Like

As a physical object, my Sony scd-c2000ed was impressive. To be fair, it’s a player from the standard range decked out in a fancy case and equipped with some minor extras, like a socket for headphones

It felt good to use. It was solid. The spinning dic could not be heard. The sony jog dial was neat. But it developed some sort of problem whereby it couldn’t detect a hybrid SACD (which was most of them)

I use this now.

It’s plastic. The tray feels extraordinarily flimsy. There’s no comparable display, unless you turn on your TV. There’s nothing comparable to the knob. I am sure that it makes a audible noise when it spins the discs.

But it outputs digital sound just fine over hdmi, It detects hybrid SACD just fine. And I can rip the DSD files over ethernet if I use a special USB key to jailbreak it. Hopefully I haven’t borked that feature with a firmware update, though I’ve already ripped the discs that I own.

2 Likes

The CD player I bought a few years ago, an Onkyo C7030, is still available new on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004UR487A/
I think I paid about $100 less than the current list, but it’s still priced reasonably.

2 Likes

I’m on my 3rd CD changer. I had a really high-end single play SACD/CD machine and missed the changer function, so bought an MCD205 MusicBank-based unit that I’m using these days. It has a really good DAC plus I have it hooked up to a DAC that I run all my digital feeds through.

Guess I could add, I am currently using this CD player. Probably bought it for $15. It works (minus the speakers) :person_shrugging:

1 Like

Sony’s 1990s design language for their hifi equipment was seriously good. Lots of solid metal, clear displays, excellent remotes and there was something really satisfying about those little circular silver push buttons like the ones on your unit.

1 Like

“sliiiide CLUNK clunk” he said wistfully

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.