You can call me AI

Apparently UW-Madison will give degrees to anyone without a brain in their head.

3 Likes

Damn. Is that a real google search that was performed by you? When did you do it?

Heaven help us all, this AI garbage is making the whole internet unusable even faster than I feared.

2 Likes

I can turn it off, right? Right???

:grimacing:

7 Likes

Looks like the AI summarized the top result, without understanding (duh) the article.

Key sentence from the top hit:

Here are the graduation years of alumni with presidential names

2 Likes

I have no love for Andrew Johnson but I do have to respect using his cursed immortality to study as many fields as he can.

7 Likes

4 Likes

Yeah, just saw this (from Gary Marcus) - even the effective altruists have turned on him:

I mean he was briefly kicked out of the company for being an even more ourrageous liar than is expected of a techbro CEO.

6 Likes

Except of course that the whole promise and risk is like arguing over how to train unicorns, since nothing Altman is doing is actually working toward AGI at all. The only extinction threat is through burning all our energy for the sake of bullshit generators and half-melted portraits.

8 Likes

Hell yeah!

Though the flood of bullshit is also a real threat. Even the flow of investment into memes is a kind of threat.

3 Likes

:woman_facepalming:

8 Likes

News Corp strikes deal with OpenAI to share content, ‘journalistic expertise’

https://thehill.com/policy/technology/4680427-news-corp-strikes-deal-openai-share-content-journalistic-expertise/

7 Likes
3 Likes

This keeps happening:

Also, yesterday I was a bit depressed to learn that part of the reason that FTX investors who had their cryptocurrency stolen by SBF are going to be paid back in full is because SBF embezzled some of those funds in AI-related investments that ended up paying off very well.

3 Likes

… “openai ceo sam altman”

1 Like
4 Likes

Good riddance. It’s annoying enough to me when people in my proximity occasionally dictate a text message into their phones, so I certainly wasn’t looking forward to a device with a speech-based interface becoming mainstream.

If and when “AI assistants” ever become useful (which I’m cerainly in no hurry to see) I doubt they’ll take the form of a silly stand-alone pin that’s clipped to your clothing. Spike Jonze probably got a lot closer to getting it right in Her, where it’s just an operating system or app that can talk to you through an earbud or your phone or your TV as the situation warrants. Only there will be a lot more advertisements for Amazon products or whatever sprinkled into the conversation.

4 Likes
8 Likes

glue-gluea

4 Likes

That can’t be good.

4 Likes

Every single thing that Sam Altman and OpenAI does is suspicious, and it has been for months, ever since Altman was fired and then rehired as CEO with — to this day — little or no explanation. Sam Altman has repeatedly said things that, if any founder with less power, presence, access and funding had said, they’d be laughed at, ignored, and treated like fantasists

1 Like