You can call me AI

Nvida’s market capitalization is currently $2.70 trillion.

Going back to just graphics cards would be an okay profitable business, but a massive downsizing from what the stockholders are addicted to. Plus they’ve invested in production facilities, which will mostly be a wash, depending on the size of the real AI market once the bubble pops.

4 Likes

I like this. As seen at https://spaceweather.com/

8 Likes
  1. Convince us we need bigger TVs again

2. ???

3. Profit

3 Likes
6 Likes

Yesterday I was on the campus of a State University and was disturbed to see a big poster advertising some AI software to help students with their assignments that had the tagline “Raise your grade.” What bothered me most about it was that it was a large paid advertisement mounted behind glass on a big kiosk, not just some random flyer that someone had stuck to a bulletin board. Which means that the university accepted the advertisement as being appropriate and is getting paid to have it on display. That’s really damn close to an official endorsement for having their students using AI to write their homework for them. Something that many would be doing regardless, but still, I hate the way this is going.

6 Likes

Probably outsourced entirely and they have no control over it at all.

That would be more typical.

4 Likes
6 Likes

What robertmckenna said: the chance that a university of any size is running the provision of advertising hoardings on campus is basically nil. Even if they ever did, those rights would have been sold off many decades ago.

If it’s at a kiosk and/or behind glass, then it’s officially run commercially by some other (probably quite large) company, and the university has about as much control over what ads are run as BB does about whether cryptoscamming is advertised by Google Adsense on the BB Store. Maybe less.

3 Likes

Regardless, if a university has made the decision to outsource this sort of thing on their own property without retaining the option to veto ads for products or services that they find to be objectionable, that’s still on the University.

4 Likes

Being a state university and a part of government they would have less ability to control the viewpoints of advertising than private organizations.

We ran into that at an airport.

4 Likes

You seem to be under the misapprehension that the university has funded a person who has the responsibility and authority to make such a judgement over all the advertising that happens over a campus, and that if such a person or team exists, that they actually have the ability to do so.

What do you think this is, football?

The administration doesn’t care, they just want the money, and any academics who notice are almost entirely without the power to do anything about it.

3 Likes

That too.

You usually set up an advertising concession contract with an org like JCDecaux etc after a competitive rfp process. Sit back & monitor the funds coming in.

4 Likes

The CEO of Zoom thinks that the future is going to be everyone sending AI-powered “digital twins” to videoconference calls rather than attending themselves, and letting the AIs make all the decisions for you. Unanswered is why AIs communicating with each other over video calls makes any sense at all, or what’s even left for the humans to do in this wonderous future. (The interviewer asked about that last bit and got a pretty vague and dismissive answer about spending more time with the family. I suppose that 100% unemployment does create a lot of opportunities to sit around with your family, at least until you all starve to death.)

5 Likes

I stopped expecting sense from this particular CEO when these headlines started:

6 Likes

The ad can’t be pulled down, but glass can be spray painted.

I’m just sayin’ is all…

2 Likes
9 Likes

That’s nothing to be ashamed of.

I mean, does Boeing understand how airplanes work? Does X understand how ad-based social media works?

9 Likes

Sam Altman isn’t an AI expert, he only pimps for an AI company. Like most of the “tech” bros, he’s a venture cap funds manager. He doesn’t have to understand it, only how to sell it.

10 Likes

Wikipedia:

“ He is an apocalypse preparer.[8][99]Altman said in 2016: “I have guns, gold, potassium iodide, antibiotics, batteries, water, gas masks from the Israel Defense Forces, and a big patch of land in Big SurI can fly to.”[8]

7 Likes

So… he’s Elon, only without the charisma or the easygoing friendly personality.

8 Likes