You can call me AI

Ah yes, the libertarian belief that when it all goes to hell, property rights will remain sacred.

11 Likes

How to say “I’ve been out of corporate life for a while now” without saying… you know the rest…

… it won’t be a geological event at a location dotted with volcanoes capable of creating global winter.

3 Likes
7 Likes
3 Likes

I know enough about LLMs to say one is never going to trigger a “global extinction event” by getting too smart. Not even if we burn the entire planet to power one.

It’s so frustrating that even in an article criticizing Altman’s ignorance, the lies about what type of intelligence they are making is taken at face value. There are a ton of real problems with the use of AI and they are worrying about pure fantasy. It’s like asking Elon Musk how he plans to stop his self-driving cars from organizing a revolution instead of caring about how they keep running into things by accident.

7 Likes

Heh. Ask Elon how he plans to prevent his self-driving cars from forming a union, and watch his face in the long beat, until he remembers that their “AI” is only horseshit marketing.

9 Likes
3 Likes

… “guns” was the first item on his list after all

2 Likes

So? Everyone has guns. And that’s assuming that someone doesn’t squat the place before he gets there, or caretakers decide that he and his billions are worthless in a can of beans economy.

5 Likes

Are you sure he knows that?

4 Likes

Let’s prevent billionaires from getting force field technology.

3 Likes

One with an off switch, yes.

2 Likes
5 Likes

7 Likes

What happens in a big boy version of NetHack, where a mail-daemon might deliver the player a scroll of email?

(Spam can be useful if hit with a polymorph.)

1 Like
3 Likes

“Why lie to your children when you can have a machine do it for you?”

6 Likes

Yes, and despite that right there I think is the twisted genius of this whole grift - the AI hypesters know that they couldn’t sell many LLM-as-a-subscriptions on their own merits, but if they continue the doomsaying hype-cycle the valuations will continue to pump as long as many representatives of the media industry, (in its already half auto-lobotomized state, (driven by decades of chasing SEO hits rather than developing critical journalistic chops)) continue to credulously parrot click-baity nonsense …

Totally this. And yeah, it’s definitely not by accident or in good faith. What I think is being suggested here is that there’s a sort of good-cop/bad-cop dynamic at work with the folks in the industry who are “sounding the alarm” about existential threats — but are effectively running an op for their options sake because it keeps it up in the news cycle.

Of course the real danger is what corporations and legal systems allow the tech to justify based on a massive egregious public disinformation campaign.

4 Likes
3 Likes
5 Likes