You can call me AI

Y Combinator, startups funnily enough aren’t fans of draft California AI safety law

Venture capitalist Y Combinator and more than 140 machine-learning startups have signed an open letter in opposition to a proposed hot-button AI safety law making its way through the California legislature.

In the letter, first reported by Politico, the signatories make the same arguments for a lack of AI regulation that have been made countless times in recent months: AI is the next industrial revolution, and if we regulate it now it’s only going to stifle the innovations we have yet to innovate.

[…]

It’s not immediately clear if any of the AI startups that signed the YC letter would even be covered by the bill’s provisions.

[…]

It’s not clear if any of the signatories to the letter are operating covered AI models or if they simply hope that someday they too may be influential enough to warrant government action. We’ve asked, but haven’t heard back from YC.

[…]

2 Likes
7 Likes

Nvidia loses a cool $500B as market questions AI boom

Nvidia has rapidly lost about $500 billion off its market capitalization amid concerns that the GPU maker may have become overvalued or that the AI market powered by its chips is a bubble set to burst.

The California-based biz overtook Microsoft last week to become the world’s most valuable company with a market capitalization of $3.335 trillion, shortly after leapfrogging Apple. Now Nvidia is back down in third place again after losing about 15 percent of its peak value in a matter of days.

[…]

10 Likes

Alibaba Cloud unleashes thousands of Chinese AI models to the world

3 Likes

Additional information, links, statement from Suno:

Record labels gang up to sue AI music generator duo into utter oblivion

6 Likes
2 Likes

Behold, the Torment Nexus.

3 Likes

from

9 Likes
3 Likes

Finally, a good use for AI.

from

10 Likes

Is that fair to the Swedish chef?

8 Likes

11 Likes

I did, and it genuinely caused me to have an ‘eurgh’ shudder reaction. Talk about uncanny valley - even the Mariah Carey one can’t stick to the same voice for more than about 10 seconds.

Just plagiaristic shite, badly done. Hope they lose everything.

3 Likes

Tried to send a parcel today, and before Royal Mail would let me log in I got treated to a couple of NEW! IMPROVED! Anti-AI captchas:

Note the label to trip up image classifiers that look for text…

And the deepdream-like images that probably were AI generated in the first place. :face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth::face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

8 Likes

from

11 Likes
3 Likes

Screenshot_2024-06-28-08-07-33-88

4 Likes

About 8-9 years ago I was told to see about migrating the sys that I admin to The Cloud. It was nay-sayed by stakeholders who pointed out that cloud = someone else’s computer. That, & (at least then) it would’ve been more expensive than buying the hardware ourselves (spread over 5 years). This AM we got a mass email encouraging us to look into AI & seek out one of the many communities of practice etc. I mused that someone, before long, is going to ask about adding AI to my system; my sympathetic boss agreed. I said we’re not even discussing AI until we first flog blockchain to death & beyond - heretofore there’s been no discussion whatsoever about blockchain & I can only handle one buzzword-concept at a time.

7 Likes
4 Likes

Yeah, I even worked on projects with Microsoft Azure, and our customers did the numbers and noped out …

7 Likes