You can call me AI

1 Like

I think that it’s because rich white valley entrepreneur bros stand to gain many billions by hyping both sides of this Two Man Con: glowing words about how well it almost works, threatening Robot Hell unless AI is restricted to a small cartel.

Glowing statements from OpenAI, Microsoft, Amazon, Stability AI, companies that stand to gain, both from stock inflation and from reducing reducing salary expectations of their expensive workforce.

Really bad assumptions:

When ChatGPT, powered by the 3.5 model of GPT, took the bar exam, for instance, it scored in the 10th percentile. But less than a year later, when GPT 4 took the test, it scored in the 90th percentile.

Too bad that it’s still a really shitty legal assistant that makes stuff up. I predict exams will incorporate problems that encourage mirage answers from “AI”.

Flawed reasoning, with a dash of begging the question:

Reading the comments, I found myself thinking the critics were missing the point. AI is still in its infancy. Which means, much as with a newborn human, we need to start thinking about how it will affect our lives and our livelihoods now, before its needs outstrip our ability to keep up. For the moment, we still have time to shape the future we actually want. Sooner or later, there may come a day when we no longer do.

“If the current AI doesn’t work, well, what happens when it does?”

If someone wants to create a website without coding, then why are they using ChatGPT rather than one of the many existing packages to do that already?

5 Likes

I love being too old for TikTok.

4 Likes

I love solid True Crime stuff, but this is

Mad Abc GIF by The Bachelorette

5 Likes
6 Likes
2 Likes
5 Likes
2 Likes

The National Eating Disorder Association (NEDA) has taken its chatbot called Tessa offline, two days before it was set to replace human associates who ran the organization’s hotline.

After NEDA workers decided to unionize in early May, executives announced that on June 1, it would be ending the helpline after twenty years and instead positioning its wellness chatbot Tessa as the main support system available through NEDA. A helpline worker described the move as union busting, and the union representing the fired workers said that “a chatbot is no substitute for human empathy, and we believe this decision will cause irreparable harm to the eating disorders community.”

As of Tuesday, Tessa was taken down by the organization following a viral social media post displaying how the chatbot encouraged unhealthy eating habits rather than helping someone with an eating disorder.

3 Likes
1 Like

5 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

More coverage about unregulated AI and negative impacts on humans:

2 Likes

I’ve now seen (and reported) two ads on youtube for AI apps to make images of women, both featuring fairly realistic, but somewhat cartoonish images of essentially children in halloween costumes with large breasts. Ugh, I was so naive hoping we’d someday get rid of the “most beautiful twins” pedo-bait chumbox, but turns out things are just going to get worse.

1 Like

Cross post in workers

“Artificial Intelligence: Agreement confirming that AI is not a person and that generative AI cannot replace the duties performed by members.”

4 Likes
5 Likes

You know, for quite a while now, one of my pet theories has been that our universe, simulated or not, is basically something a distracted, procreating middle school student cobbled together for science fair with minutes to spare on the deadline in a higher dimension.

1 Like

I’ve heard it that God didn’t do anything for six days, then pulled an all-nighter.

2 Likes

There is an SMBC for that too. :slight_smile:

3 Likes