You can call me AI

Wait, 2016?!? :thinking: I’m gonna need new criteria…

3 Likes

What a wanker!

eta:

2 Likes

And I’m sure that it’s all about harvesting user information.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Bard isn’t offered in the EU. These LLMs , despite being “pre-trained” have user input as training data. Prima facie they cannot offer a right to be forgotten so they are in breach of GDPR. Whatever they say they are doing, it’s all going to data brokers in the end.

I listened to this the other week: ‎Humans vs. Machines with Gary Marcus: Watson Part 2: How IBM’s Big Bet Failed on Apple Podcasts

Remember when IBM’s Watson was going to cure cancer? Well obviously it was actually fuck all use. What it eventually became was data sold to private equity. Nobody signed up for that. But there is where we inevitably ended up.

3 Likes

Oh come on, it did adorably well on Jeopardy. Totally worth it!

3 Likes

Can’t wait to see how janky Amazon’s AI entry will be. But wait, where would they get all the training data? “Hey Alexa, how would Amazon source an always-on stream of data of my voice, personality, daily schedule and purchasing preferences?”

1 Like
2 Likes
1 Like

Tool or threat? (Why not both, I suppose.)

1 Like

BOFH: Generating a report the Director can show the Board – THIS is what AI was made for

What if you could uncrop the photos used in album covers? The AI can do it with mixed outcomes. Some of the gimmicks are very impressive.

5 Likes
2 Likes

I got it from here

7 Likes

With its ticket pricing reform, VR will use Artificial Intelligence (AI) more and more in the process.

The AI system will analyze large amounts of data, not only train ticket sales data, but also booking and passenger numbers for different days and routes. The forecasts will also be influenced by seasonal variations in demand.

“Artificial intelligence and algorithms will help, but as in other businesses, it is ultimately the human being who drives the pricing, and we will create the pricing principles ourselves,” Tyynilä explained.

The use of AI means that the price of a train journey can change several times, even on the same day, if demand fluctuates.

Angry Inside Out GIF by Disney Pixar

3 Likes

Business Insider’s non-stop stream of crap articles:

3 Likes

I’m wondering if now that this is maybe impacting a profession still dominated by white, straight middle class, is why we’re seeing all the hand-wringing about AI in the media. Seems like it was less of a “problem” when it was going to replace already lowly paid adjuncts or “woke” writers for TV or was going to impact artists whose work was being used to train AI… :thinking: That was largely being dismissed as nothing much to worry about. But now that people think ChatGPT is going to write all the code (which, less face it, there is a lot of shitty code out there which AI could do just as well on!), it’s a coming apocalypse!

2 Likes

Dr. Forbin [to Dr. Markham]: I think your mother was right. I think Frankenstein ought to be required reading for all scientists.

1 Like

Oh yes, oh yes, oh yes. Not exclusively because of that, but it’s a huge factor.

And at a time when a lot of them just found out that “crypto” can turn out just like any classic Ponzi scheme.

Ah, the smell when smugness turns into fear.

2 Likes