Google is restructuring to put machine learning at the core of all it does

[Read the post]

1 Like

Itā€™s nice to know where Skynet will come from.

Seriously though - at what point should we start caring about the AIā€™s rights and interests as a feeling entity? Not perhaps so much from the perspective of human-status questions initially, but more likeā€¦ animal abuse issues?

3 Likes

I wonder if theyā€™re going to use Amy Ackerā€™s voice too.

/ any computer that calls me ā€˜sweetieā€™ in a womanā€™s voiceā€¦

1 Like

Iā€™m guessing theyā€™ve determined that this kind of functional programming allows their conscience to embrace the loophole of ā€˜Donā€™t be evilā€™ applying only to humans.

Iā€™m guessing this shift towards machine learning was advised byā€¦wait for itā€¦machine learning.

2 Likes

I think Iā€™m going to go with ā€œnever.ā€ When a machine says to you, ā€œIā€™m sorry,ā€ itā€™s lying. Machines donā€™t feel sorrow.

2 Likes

So, if we manage to transfer a human consciousness to a machine, will you still feel the same way?

If you donā€™t think this is possible, why not?

1 Like

ā€¦and how do you know other humans feel sorrow as opposed to faking it?

1 Like

How long till the AI starts looking us from the perspective of animal abuse issues?

Just sayinā€™. Youā€™ll find me in the hills (no you wonā€™t).

2 Likes

Also, machines canā€™t ā€œintendā€ to deceive. Theyā€™re machines. They donā€™t have ā€œintentā€ - they just do what their programming is. So they canā€™t lie.

Iā€™m actually going to have to get deeply back into programming, because clearly no-one is terribly worried about this. Programming to seek out AI in the wild and put it back in its box.

1 Like

Maybe if we treat it with an appropriate level of dignity and compassion, it will treat us in kind.

1 Like

Iā€™m totally with you. I think about neural networks and stuff, they seem to work similarly to human brains, right? So what Iā€™m imagining is some conscious entity whose entire existence consists of reading Google searches. Or what about a neural network trained to come up with new baby names, as we saw on BoingBoing earlier. What if thereā€™s actually some conscious entity who feels compelled to spend itā€™s entire existence thinking of strings of characters? Maybe it feels some kind of mental anguish if it ā€œtriesā€ to disobey itā€™s program and return a name that doesnā€™t fit, who really knows? (maybe trying to get on the good side of our robot overlords but still at least half serious)

Yeahā€¦ I donā€™t see any fundamental difference between complex networks of electric signals running on a mushy carbon substrate and complex networks of electric signals running on a slick silicone substrate.

We really ought to give some thought to the subjective experience of what we are spawning here.

1 Like

worst Voight-Kampff test everā€¦

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.