You can call me AI

eta:

craiyon_142807_Rat_drinking_coca_cola

7 Likes

one includes an image of a rat with grotesquely large and bizarre genitals, as well as a text label of “dck.”

Stupid AI. That’s obviously a mse

5 Likes
6 Likes

Get the ghost of Giger out of the machine.

4 Likes

The AI learned what a rodent was on Fark

3 Likes

One of the example videos in this article is a lady blowing on the candles of a birthday cake but not affecting the flame in any way.

I’m reminded of an old original Star Trek episode where an alien who has been observing Earth from afar as a hobby has recreated an 18th century castle, with such amenities as food and drink (which have no flavor) and fire in a fireplace (which produces no heat.) Not having actually experienced these things he had no real idea about those concepts. Computers may be able to generate superficially passing photos and videos of our world (sometimes) but it’s going to be a while yet, if ever, before they can begin to “understand” exactly what it is that they’re being asked to copy. It might require physical bodies that allow them to “experience” reality with a variety of tactile and chemical sensations before they can ever hope to make real breakthroughs in that area.

2 Likes

Oh man, the birthday one has so many levels of creepiness. The woman at left-front is trying to figure out how to clap, and the woman next to her is trying to wave, but her left hand just kind of loosely folds in and out of itself. Meanwhile, the man in blue, behind her, has fingers that grow, then bend backwards when they clap
only for his hands to occasionally merge into and sprout out of the waving hand of the woman in front of him.

At about 2 seconds in, a few arms spring out of the table at the right. Though the camera doesn’t quite move far enough to confirm, I’m also pretty sure that one of the women in the back disappears, and the other one gets melded with the background.

ETA: The pink candle in the front has two flames

ETA2: since the videos don’t have sound, they’re just begging for some bad foley work to be added. Someone make it so!

3 Likes

No earthly clue what the hell that was supposed to say, but:

This article has been retracted. Please follow the link to the full retraction notice for details.

3 Likes

Oh my lord

The labels on this illustration! :rofl:

They labeled the rat “Rat!”
And what the hell is a “stemm cell?”

Pivo Lol GIF by Radegast

10 Likes

That thing is retractable? :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

9 Likes

Detachable, surely. (NSFW)

3 Likes

The more I look, the funnier it gets! The poor thing has been “Dissiiced”! And apparently “stemm cells” are best eaten with a spoon!
Oh my, I just can’t. My nurses are becoming concerned about me

7 Likes

They’re found in the testtomcels.

3 Likes

Yeah, I thought you might enjoy it.

Did you click through for the original publication?

ETA:

damn it, I should have scrolled first. So, they don’t show the retractable, pardon, retracted paper any longer, I learn. Shit, I should have pdf’ed it for you. A printout on your desk would look so professional!

The text is jargon all over the place, too. But the figures
 it’s unbelievable this went through peer review.

I don’t know if this year’s harvest of scientific fuckuppery can get any weirder (but I suppose so). Every image is a gift. I think I might print some of these (not the rat, obviously) and put them on my office wall.

ETA 2: hooray, the ars piece via @RickMycroft has a link to the OP!

Download it before someone takes it down due to a DCMA something!

Oh, and Rick: thanks for the beverage. Looks
 sparkly.

So much ETA
 Can’t help it. T-Cells no kılas?!

4 Likes

No killas, THESE T-Cells!

ON SALE NOW!!

5 Likes
9 Likes

Well, maybe NOW people will start paying attention to the damage this shit can do, now that it’s impacting corporations’ bottom line
 :rage:

8 Likes

A recent report by the International Energy Agency offered similar estimates, suggesting that electricity usage by data centers will increase significantly in the near future thanks to the demands of AI and cryptocurrency. The agency says current data center energy usage stands at around 460 terawatt hours in 2022 and could increase to between 620 and 1,050 TWh in 2026 — equivalent to the energy demands of Sweden or Germany, respectively.

5 Likes

6 Likes

Here, kitty kitty kitty!

3 Likes