You can call me AI

As an outsider, that seems to describe the stock market in general.

2 Likes
5 Likes

You know, I’m beginning to wonder if those dating apps might be a scam?

2 Likes

Singles in your area are looking to meet you, and they want you to solve ReCAPTCHAs!

5 Likes

xkcd Suspicion

5 Likes

Excited Tom Hiddleston GIF by Disney+

4 Likes

Jensen Huang, CEO of Nvidia, argues that we should stop saying kids should learn to code. He argues the rise of AI means we can replace programming languages with human language prompts thus enabling everyone to be a programmer

is he fucking nuts or just delusional?

2 Likes

He’s selling video cards

4 Likes

even video cards need firmware.

1 Like

I mean, he doesn’t have to believe what he’s saying - Nvidia makes the hardware that powers the current generation of AI and he’s pumping the value. It’s marketing, a vision of a problem to be solved and a future to be built, neither of which is necessarily true or desirable.

4 Likes

Figuring out language precise enough that the computer does what you want is basically what coding is. There’s a reason science and humanities need jargon to actually communicate ideas properly – even if there were an AI good at coding, trying to describe things in plain English would make things harder rather than easier.

Yet another vision of the future from someone who’s too stupid to know what would even be nice to have. :face_exhaling:

5 Likes

I’m struggling to put my finger on it, but I’m 99% convinced that NVidia is riding a wave based on exactly the wrong kind of fundamental algorithms for anything approaching what we would consider strong AI. They are architecturally incapable of the right algorithms, at least with any efficiency, leading to an explosive O(Nd) d≥2 cost to brute force the only that they can do in the general direction of what looks right. While numerous and inexpensive, NVidia’s graphics cards provide a decidedly finite number of monkeys, with diminishing marginal benefits.

When I figure out the correct algorithm, I’ll let you know… :thinking:

While my chances of that are low, one thing I can guarantee is that I’ll have to code it myself.

5 Likes
1 Like
4 Likes

Cross-posted to the enshittification topic.

7 Likes

I don’t know about society, but for me I think it means it’s finally time to look at AMD video cards. Not that AMD is immune to all this hype…but if Intel is on top, and if its brass realizes that this is a bubble, they and their shareholders will be looking to loot as much value as they can out of the company before it pops.

1 Like

Why do some people treat a CEO whose company just hit a sweet spot in the market, and the stock is currently worth a hugely inflated price, as some kind of amazing pundit whose every word, even outside their expertise, is gold?

That’s like adopting everything that Steve Jobs believed in to become very rich, and then maybe dying of cancer which might of been treated if caught sooner.

3 Likes