You can hear the difference between hot and cold water

Most interesting. I wonder if some suitably clever neural network could be trained to reliably distinguish between samples of slightly different sloshitude given video, temperature, and possibly accellerometer data.

As something that a suitably skilled and experienced human can do it’s undeniably quite cool(I certainly wouldn’t have expected it to be doable except at markedly higher contaminant levels, at which point you can probably just smell the problem); but unlikely to be competitive with getting a precise answer from the lab, given the limited supply of suitable people.

If it turns out that a $50 burner handset taped to a jar can set itself to ‘vibrate’ and detect contaminants in software based on how the contents respond; that might have actual uses, in addition to being pretty cool.

4 Likes

Without even watching the vid, I can attest that it seems to be true, in my experience; I always know when the the hot water has run out while running a bath just by the way my pipes sound.

3 Likes

I always assumed that this was an effect of laminar-turbulent transition in combination with the pipe’s resonance.

I didn’t watch the video yet, so: does it give any references? I wants the science behind this. Including some formulas. (I’m terrible at physics, but anyway, WE WANTS IT SO WE CAN LEARNS AND KNOWS IT!)

1 Like

Damn-ned mine eyes

I love this word. I’ will have to steal it.

it’s not my own – i’m sure i picked it up somewhere (maybe in a bar, haha).

1 Like

The video doesn’t go that in depth, it’s mainly a food for thought type of content.

1 Like

I worked this out years ago when I realised I could tell as soon as the water hit the bottom of the cup, that I’d forgotten to turn the kettle on and I’d just poured cold water on a teabag.
Again.

I’d assumed it was something to do with the hot water making the ceramic expand, now I knows different.

1 Like

Among all the other reason I have to feel like a weirdo, I have few like a weirdo because coffee commercials (when they do the close mic, coffee pouring in to a mug thing) drive me up the wall. Reminds me of someone who makes excessive and unnecessary tongue and saliva sounds.

I’ve been called “sensitive” enough times at this point in life to have never shared this pet peeve with anyone.

Alas! Vindicated! Of course this only explains that there’s something there for me to hear. Not why it irritates me. Maybe I’m one of those opposite of ASMR types.

2 Likes

Me too.

I did state that I also didn’t watch the video, so I don’t know.

Perhaps watching the video is something we should consider then, yeah?

1 Like

Naah, see the reply from @Grey_Devil. I’ll take his/her word for that. Still, wants the science… use the googlescholar-fu, I must…

1 Like

Oh, no. He and those gorgeous grey eyes can take as many turns as they want.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t the steam affect the sound too?

1 Like

I was told the pitch of a spoon against a mug rises because air bubbles slowly work their way out of the liquid.

It seems to check out: After you splash the spoon around a bit (adding new bubbles) the pitch goes back down again.

2 Likes

You know, the guy who pointed this out to me also thought it was air bubbles. But when I read the posted article I thought maybe viscosity was more likely. So now I wonder if both mechanisms play a role, in both the coffee cup and pouring water, since hot water tends to have less air in it than cold water (or is it the other way round?).

1 Like

I would gather a guess that hot water would have more air, after all hot liquids tend to froth with more ease. Can’t say that a frothy cold drink is something one encounters often when compared to hot drinks

2 Likes

Apparently colder water retains more gas.
But the reverse for organic solvents.
https://chem.libretexts.org/Core/Physical_and_Theoretical_Chemistry/Equilibria/Solubilty/Temperature_Effects_on_the_Solubility_of_Gases

1 Like

I love that sound! I always thought that was due to the liquid becoming super-saturated with sugar.

3 Likes

Geez, how much sugar do you use??? :smile:

3 Likes