You'll never want to use AirBnB again after reading Vice's investigation into all the scams run on travelers

I am planning on building a vacationer’s micro-apartment onto my gallery here in Ely Minnesota, to rent out via Air BnB, or some similar service.

Advice? (I am new at this.)

1 Like

Here’s what I’ve gathered: “Don’t do it.”

3 Likes

We tried a VRBO last summer. The pictures were gorgeous but didn’t show the several rat filled trailers parked on each side. Kudos to the photographer who made what looked like a 3rd world war zone into a homes and gardens magazine cover.

When we complained, the owner grudgingly said he would process a refund and that he’d been getting a number of complaints recently.

5 Likes

In general, would suggest that it isn’t a good idea to build something exclusively for the purpose of renting it out on Airbnb.

If you already have a rental property or you have unused rooms in your house, and it is legal in your area to do so, Airbnb could be worth an experiment. Something purpose built is quite high risk. There might be insufficient demand to cover your initial investment, it might become illegal in your area, Airbnb might crash and burn entirely like WeWork, etc.

5 Likes

I use AirBnB for long stays, generally because I want a kitchen. I’ve only been scammed once and AirBnB made sure I was covered with an equally good accommodation at the same price. In that case it was a property manager pulling the double-booking last-minute cancellation scam. I’ve since learned to avoid vacation-destination properties in condo buildings and complexes, especially if the reviews have a high number of cancelled reservations. Getting a room or guest house on a property where the host is resident is usually the best option for AirBnB.

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.