Young boy demonstrates intricate Lego safe to store his money

except, so, now it’s not safe anymore

a word of advice, “young boy”: obfuscation

5 Likes

Puzzle boxes always amaze me - solving them is one thing, but creating them is a whole 'nother level of skill.

I’m thinking this kid can probably submit this video in lieu of an essay in his application to MIT. Admission, guaranteed.

6 Likes

Superficially i want to make fun of the fact that you can just smash the box open. But really the thought process behind creating it is fairly clever, i remember trying to do stuff like this as a kid. Very cool :smiley:

5 Likes

He’s Canadian! :smiley:

5 Likes

He reminds me of me at that age. I developed the most intricate encryption schemes, only to realize one day I had no secrets worth encrypting. I almost wept.

7 Likes

Or a thief could just swing it like a baseball bat and sift through the pieces after it flies apart. (Or, you know, just walk off with it.)

It does serve as a reminder that the only practical protection that any lock can offer is a promise to delay a thief for some (short) amount of time.

1 Like

I dabbled a bit with encryption, it was a minor fad at my school at one point. I remember seeing certain cliques pass encoded notes to each other.

2 Likes

I’ve never been more interested!

That’s a clever kid.

1 Like

Lucky duck.

(Now post must be at least 15 characters? Soon they will require chapter headings.)

1 Like

The furniture with the secret compartments and hidey holes are among the most interesting segments on the Antiques Roadshow.

2 Likes

Young Billy’s Friend: THE ICE CREAM MAN IS HERE!
Young Billy: I’LL BE RIGHT THERE!

Young Billy spends 10 minutes retrieving money from Lego safe

Young Billy’s Friend: He’s gone now.
Young Billy: SON OF A #@&$%!!!

8 Likes

None of this “Some assembly required. Your parents can put it together.” crap.

1 Like

Was at an estate auction once perusing some of the antiques and as I turned away from the sideboard I’d been leaning on I bumped the “pillar” on one corner, which popped open! The auction rep I was with got all excited and we spent the next ten minutes poking and prodding everything about it.
The bit I’d opened only had a couple of bottles of truly ancient (disgusting and rotted and icky) booze. Oddly the other corner pillar didn’t seem to open, but we did find a couple of drawers squirreled away here and there. All but one were empty and the one just had a handful of old coins that weren’t actually worth much.
So no great treasures but it was pretty cool and the opening price for that item went up a few grand!

5 Likes

What’s the current meaning of “young boy” in colloquial English?
The boy in the video seems to be at a normal age for a boy building cool stuff with legos, and most people that you’d normally refer to as a “boy” would be young…

I’ve been confused about this ever since the first season of “Merlin” opened with a narration describing Merlin, played by a 22-year-old actor, as a “young boy”.

“Young boy” is usually situational. If you’re in a context where you would be talking about kids anyway, you can infer that specifically calling out “young kid/boy/girl” means that they’re on the low end of the obvious range. For example, at an elementary school PTA meeting, you’d probably figure that means “kindergarteners and first graders”.

In most other contexts, it’s completely redundant to “boy”, probably used just to give the sentence a better cadence.

In the context of Merlin, it also probably means, “trust me, he’s supposed to be young. Use your powers of imagination.”

3 Likes

Made something like that as a kid. Less complicated, but in a way safer and tamper-proof - I used superglue to glue the bricks together (except the moving bits of course).

That’s the go. Would take some effort to crack then, and kills the Lego salvage value.

2 Likes

The safe can be opened? He’s already one up on Rob then.

2 Likes

It becomes even more confusing what with him living backwards in time and all!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.