Young woman transforms from 'nice girl' to punk to test tolerance in 1983 BBC clip

Originally published at: Young woman transforms from 'nice girl' to punk to test tolerance in 1983 BBC clip | Boing Boing

5 Likes

It would be wonderful to know what Gina is up to now.

12 Likes
4 Likes

Gina’s model perfect features - smooth skin, small ears, cheekbones etc. aren’t hidden when her head is shaved. These days her ‘punk’ appearance wouldn’t raise an eyebrow.

5 Likes

One of my favorite skits.

and her male friend, too.

that guy Steve Strange rings a bell, but i haven’t gone to the trouble to google him (yet).

2 Likes

The late, great Steve Strange - lead singer of Visage. Fade To Grey was the biggest hit, absolute vanguard of the New Romantic movement.

ETA: I just watched the whole clip, fantastic stuff - I was 15 when it aired, two tone trousers and braces was more my style though my big bro was a big punk fan.

Loving the alt culture civil servants. Some years ago (2010 I think?), I worked on a project for a UK broadcast company, with a great project manager. Very tech savvy, knew the business. She mentioned that she also sang in a band - a little research led to this:

So yeah, looks really aren’t a measure of how good you might be at a particular job… great voice too!

9 Likes

omg, YES. thank you! now i know why i remembered his name. Fade to Grey is a great track!

3 Likes

what she said was true even much later, as I experienced firsthand. walking around Knoxville with purple hair in 1993, all the normal people avoided me, wouldn’t even make eye contact. it was awesome.

6 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.