Your refrigerator probably hasn't joined a botnet

No apology needed, I agree wholeheartedly. here is a lot of technology that should leave me alone and become invisible.

1 Like

Is that the same actress/model that was in the film from GE about the Kitchen of the Future?

This. Some semblance of security, or at least putting some thought into security would also be nice. To pick on GE specifically, one would think, what with all their adverts about building super-duper sophisticated jet engines (among other things) that theyā€™d maybe retask one of those programmers to the Home and Garden department.

Except if you want to stop it ripening to keep it longer as is, you know, the entire purpose of a refrigerator.

Iā€™m calling the no-banana-in-the-fridge as a story recounted by an elderly female domestic engineer.

ā€œGenerally you donā€™t see that kind of behavior in a major appliance!ā€

My refrigerator probably hasnā€™t joined a botnet, but then it also hasnā€™t synced up with the house plumbing enough to run an icemaker, either. (Uh-oh, if I connect that fat copper pipe to the back of it, will the resulting series of tubes connect to the Internet?)

We finally broke down and acquired an HDTV, which also meant acquiring a new DVD player, and both of them keep whining about how theyā€™d like to connect to the Internet and start downloading Hulu and Netflix for me. (And I won an AppleTV frob at a trade show that I should get around to connecting to the TV, but itā€™ll also want to connect to the Internet to download iTunes and Hulu and Netflix.) No, sorry, I donā€™t want the TV to get pwned, or the DVD to decide to do DRM. Iā€™ll probably hook a Raspberry Pi to it, since thereā€™s an HDMI port.

1 Like

Iā€™m going to offer another choice here.

The lower section is below the freezer section and appears to be adjacent to a access panel for maybe the compressor and other internal bits when the door closes.

And the ā€˜banana doorā€™ could be a unrefrigerated ā€˜root cellarā€™ compartment thatā€™s somewhat controlled with humidity, light, and not actually a chilled section.

Turn your tomatoes upside down! Truly! The stem top is where the most moisture gets in and out. With less air flow, the tomatoes last longerā€¦ Or maybe itā€™s just confirmation bias. But hey, either way youā€™ll feel better about your fruit.

You have reached your monthly allotment of free refrigerator accesses. If you would like to subscribe to your fridge your allotment can be increased immediately upon receipt of your credit card number. Thank you for visiting your fridge.

4 Likes

Please tell me that it toasts a ghostly face into every slice.

2 Likes

ā€¦are sometimes NSFW:

5 Likes

Hereā€™s hoping we get our wish on improved router security. That would certainly help.
Still fridge destruction! Better yet, fridge lulz.

True thing about the newer printers. I just regard all devices as computers. Some are very limited, zā€™all. But but but! They want to COLLAGE my summer pix, yā€™all! How can that not be just awesome?

Hee! Thereā€™s a neat-o high-tech theft ring story or 20 in there, somewhere. Like, count the cop cars in the target jurisdiction, locate all the net-enabled home automation systems with smoke and gas detectors. Then, give the 911 folks more regular calls than can handle the day before so theyā€™re all tired out. On the day, jam the cops with home disasters and irate homeowners, then robo-call all the EMTs so you can go rob the bank/lab/nuke site with your crew of semi-interesting ex-con freaks. (But only if Danny Trejo can be cast. Because, Danny Trejo!)

Meanwhile, you can physically track the targets with a Pepsi dispenser and all their personal Mercedes Benziā€¦(Better place the story in Europe or the Middle East so the MBā€™s make more sense.)

The follow-up is, you tie up services for a couple more days afterwards with other junk calls, so they canā€™t really give their full attention to your totally masterful theft.

Personally, I wouldnā€™t touch it without adding a really douchey master criminal signature to the thing. Like, maybe, making everybodyā€™s robotic vacuums leave the gangā€™s initials vacuumed into the grain of their carpeting, or torbotting my way into their their printers and having them all print it out, until it happens to some ludicrous Nick Cage-y detectiveā€™s whiney helpless mom and he slowly catches onā€¦because he is a nerd prince on his own time. He probably invented twitter, had a moral awakening, and decided to go be a cop in order to fix his karma and pay of his infinite debt to all mankind in his skin life. He loses sleep, keeps having weird dreams, and gets sent to the police dept. psych when the chief notices his extra weirdness. But eventually, he wigs it out and then somehow also figures out how to tweet -bomb the criminal ring into revealing themselves.

Oh - and not without a quick walk-on by Christopher Walken. Because Walken. And maybe Will Ferrell Because, more cowbell. And also, then you can call the theft ring The Reapers, which will help satisfy my own debt to humanity for even thinking this story up, let alone posting it.

But honestly - are most people so far removed that Hollywood didnā€™t already do this 100 times already? Really? Shame.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.