Your smart TV is trivial to hack and leaks your personal information like crazy unless you disable all its useful features

They do make them- for business and pro audio/video usage. They are disgustingly expensive, though. ($24,400+ for a 98" UHD display from NEC)

1 Like

Ditto. Boxes that send video to the television are internet-connected, but the television itself is not.

So several companies are monitoring what I watch depending on the input source (Comcast, Netflix, Amazon, Roku) but Samsung is not one of them.

Talked to Samsung just a few minutes ago. CSR says, “Nope. Not a problem. You won’t be hacked.” Well, I’m satisfied.

My current TV is an 8 year old 44" Samsung “dumb” TV. It works great. I’m dreading having to replace it, I suspect I’ll try and repair it like I did its hot running predecessor a circa 2003 32" Akai, which was $8 worth of electrolytic capacitors in the power supply every couple of years.

The last time I checked out TV’s at my local store, all of them over 32" were smart TV’s, and I can’t bring myself to watch something smaller than that like some kind of a barbarian.

On my Sony, if you factory reset you end up at a Google EULA with only one option - accept. The Sony and Samba EULAs can be declined, but the Google one cannot.

Which Sony do you have?

Which generation of HDMI?

https://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/hec.aspx

Explain that to my mother.

3 Likes

I believe my LG uses the old palmOS they bought. I had high hopes for that OS.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.