Youth cannabis use declined in states that legalized, new study finds

Damn, weed going the way of old geezer Facebook. Who woulda thunk it?!

1 Like

Anecdotally, this isn’t true for my teens’ peer group in Portland. Now that it is legal, it is everywhere in the high school group. My 16-year-old told me he can get it just asking someone walking down the street.

I’ve had talks with both of my teens about how marijuana might cause problems in undeveloped brains (before the age of 25-ish) and they don’t care at all.

But will it cause a decline in overly-elaborate glass smoke-ware?

1 Like

The Chihuly Studio is just down the road from me. We have so much cheap and pretty glassware. The other day in the pot shop I was looking at the glass and found a bong with a Kodama from Princess Mononoke sitting on a mushroom in the upper percolation chamber.

5 Likes

Whenever one group is making rules for another group, the supposed rationale for the rules deserves some extra scrutiny. “Malleable brains” and “pruning as a form of growth” and such sounds a lot like modern-day phrenology.

I mean, is there an actual biological reason to not smoke weed – to not be allowed to smoke weed – that applies to people who are 251 months old but not 253 months? Or is it just that old people exclude young people from all sorts of things because young people are annoying?

3 Likes

Hashish candy is easier on the lungs. Or mix THC with DMSO and lanolin for a nice skin balm. Takes a little longer, but gentle.

Hilarious!

Most youngsters on the other hand, some youngsters are attracted to it by its very illegality. It’s like murder - make a thing illegal and it acquires a mystique. Look at arson - I mean, how many of us can honestly say that at one time or another he hasn’t set fire to some great public building? I know I have. The only way to bring the crime figures down is to reduce the number of offenses - get it out in the open - I know I have.

What this quote ignores is that illegality by itself is not a factor, but a scarcity multiplier. Some may smoke a joint not because it’s illegal so much that because they get a chance to try it now, the guy may not be there tomorrow. And now, cool, we have this joint, better smoke it now before someone catches us with it.

I admit, I too used to think the illegal cachet was more of a thing, but now I have a more nuanced view. And apparently the real factor is the feeling that now that X is no longer illegal, you don’t have the risk of missing out if you don’t do it now. It’s easier to put it off until tomorrow.

2 Likes

For me it was only a supermarket, and unintentional, I swear.

Well, it’s not like anyone would actually miss the odd K-Mart.

An abandoned K-Mart infests the county seat downhill. Please don’t burn it down. The smoke would choke WalMart shoppers across the street. Then they would be surly. I hate when that happens.

Aww, come on. Not even just a little bit? Fire is the cleanser.

Well, maybe if the county loaded it with confiscated pot and drugs before torching it…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.