YouTube is disabling all comments on videos of young children

Again – why is it we’re assuming that every video people want to be posted to YouTube has to be uploaded to YouTube, and instantly?

Why are you assuming to know what people want from a video service?

If Youtube delayed posting videos, another service would pop up that didn’t. Because people want videos instantly.

If your solution is ”don’t give people what they want”, then it is an authoritarian nonstarter.

5 Likes

I’m not, I’m just putting forward a less stupid way to run one than just slapping everything up asap with no human interaction. If YouTube has too many users to responsibly monitor, the answer is to reduce their users, not reduce the monitoring and curation.

I’m not saying don’t give people what they want. I’m saying that you can’t always get what you want, and that your lack of patience for anything but instant service isn’t YouTube’s problem.

more like a dystopian nightmare if this article about facebook’s human moderators is even 10% true–

6 Likes

Only valid against the government. Private companies can do whatever.

Nah. No such constitutionally protected right.

Also no constitutionally protected right.

But, also, neither do rights about anonymity exist.

3 Likes

Doesn’t do a damn thing on Nextdoor…plus you know where they live.

3 Likes

They 100% have that option available to them now, but they are using youtube comments instead of doing that. It would seem that they think that being able to use youtube comments is better than doing what you suggest, not worse. I’d like things to be worse for them.

And then what? They aren’t even committing crimes - they are watching videos on youtube. Plus, youtube updating their customer service policy to say, “If you upload images of your kids we’ll use them in a sting operation” isn’t going to make anyone happy.

3 Likes

YouTube’s pedo problem is so bad, it just switched off comments on millions of vids of small kids to stem the tide of vileness

But this moneybags web giant is not a publisher, got that?

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2019/02/28/youtubes_pedo_system/

The discovered actions have been paid by the Russian government… These so-called pedophiles are actually hired workers from the so-called Prigozhin’s troll factory operating from St.Petersburg… The purpose of this operation is to provide enough reasons to disconnect Russian part of the network from the global Internet, and global media platforms such as YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Google, etcetera… There are national alternatives for all of them, but they are not popular enough, unless there’s no other alternative…

Comrade, may I interest you in a hat?

6 Likes

Have any news sources I might already think of as reliable started covering this?

3 Likes

Except that’s merely your insistence. You’re going to have to support that argument with facts and/or logic (either will do in a pinch, but preferably both), rather than simply what you believe to be true.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.