Youtube Kids spammers rack up billions of views on disturbing, violent, seemingly algorithmic videos

Good question. Considering there have been some amazing fan projects - that were NOT MONETIZED - that got shut down like retro X-Men animation project this guy had.

My theory is 1) they consider it parody or 2) they go after mainly stuff that is TOO good and could be confused with something real.

But - the fact many are making bank (per the video I posted), I have to agree that I wonder why they aren’t shutting it down.

BUT - at the same time - I don’t want that to be a norm, shutting down fan based stuff just because. Even though in this case it is pretty awful and weird.

That’s right. Back in my day we were properly traumatized by kids’ entertainment, like Watership Down.

4 Likes

Yes, but to Youtube, Disney, advertisers or the folks making these shitty videos, they aren’t people that matter as long as they watch and watch the ads.

If they’re not monetized and can’t be monetized, then the corporations will take it down… if they can make money off it, they’ll usually monetize it and siphon off. Example: Nintendo let’s plays!

Sounds like exactly my upbringing. A steady diet of Sesame Street, Electric Co., Big Blue Marble, ZOOM, and Schoolhouse Rock. Well, plus some awful Saturday Morning cartoons, culminating in the ABC Weekend Special, which was usually not crappy. And yes, lots and lots of Motown and 70s classic rock.

4 Likes

Never watched that adaptation, but the book itself was harrowing enough.

What about the Rats of Nym, or the Velveteen Rabbit?

Those people don’t matter to me.

Personally, I can’t control the world around me, but I can control the filters my kid sees it through, to an extent.

I’m just surprised that as proprietary as a corporation like Disney is, they seem ‘okay’ with letting stuff like this slide, even with some monetary kickback.

Anyhoos, moving on now…

2 Likes

You haven’t been properly traumatised until you have seen the public information films that were shown between kids shows in the UK during the 70s , 80s and 90s. They’d start you off with tame stuff like charly the cat, then move on to Jimmy becoming a smoldering corpse because he didn’t keep out of the electricity substation.

3 Likes

If you ever want to watch some beautiful but harrowing animation, try a double feature of Watership Down and The Plague Dogs.

Or my personal favorite, The Mouse and His Child. Children of the late 70s had a lot of terrific, weird, existential animation to choose from.

6 Likes

I’m actively avoiding anything that’s even remotely depressing in my entertainment; real life is already harrowing enough as it is these days…

5 Likes

That’s very fair! Honestly, I wouldn’t call Watership Down depressing as much as harsh and brutal at times. Plague Dogs, however, is in the same category as Grave of the Fireflies: movies that will severely depress you, so avoid them unless you’re up for a hearty cry.

5 Likes

Does anyone else Remember the Magic Pony (or in Russian, The Humpbacked Horse?)

I still think the animation is enchanting, in spite of it’s age.

3 Likes

[quote=“Melz2, post:44, topic:110584”]
What about the Rats of Nym, or the Velveteen Rabbit?[/quote]

I got those along with Where the Red Fern Grows and The Red Balloon.

On the more cheerful, psychedelic side, there’s The Point. Awesome soundtrack on that one, heh.

4 Likes

Any parent who brings their kids up on The Point gets extra, er, points in my book. Another favorite and the movie that turned me on to Harry Nilsson!

4 Likes

Well then you know what happens, and that is what they show. Though, to be fair, it has some artistic merit.

Old Yeller? Large Marge in Pee Wee’s big adventure? Dark Crystal? The Adventures of Mark Twain? We should have made a list for Halloween.

Though speaking of spooky shows, had the kiddo watch Beetlejuice, as I am getting some of the Tim Burton classics under our belt.

3 Likes

OH, I know about Charly due to he rave classic by Prodigy.

1 Like

Fun fact; I’ve been avoiding that one for years now.

Maybe kids in wartime Japan dying of starvation will seem like worthwhile entertainment once I’m fully done raising my own child… but until then, I’m good.

4 Likes

Me too.
I started it once. And stopped.
My friends keep telling me “oh, that’s the most depressing thing ever! A masterpiece!”
To this day it’s the only Ghibli film I haven’t seen.

2 Likes

Black list “When the Wind Blows” as well.

3 Likes

Worse than Schindler’s List?

I have a whole running list of Shit That Will Only Depress Me, (no matter how brilliant it may be.)

3 Likes

When I was an engineering student the college station would regularly play the original album in it’s entirety. It always made my day better when I heard it. I should go dig up my CD that took too long for it to be issued in that format.

4 Likes

Schindler’s List is ultimately uplifting; it’s incredibly hard to watch, but in the end, it’s the story of a man who saved hundreds of lives. Grave of the Fireflies is more about depicting the horrors of war through the eyes of children. So, er, ymmv, but yeah.

6 Likes