YouTube to run ads on videos, monetized or not

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/11/20/youtube-to-run-ads-on-videos-monetized-or-not.html

9 Likes

“We’ll monetize it later” –everyone in 2006.

21 Likes

I don’t even know which videos are monetized because YouTube without adblocker is hell.
Apparently it’s gonna get much worse.
Too bad Android adblockers do a crap job on YouTube’s app. I guess I can live without videos on mobile

18 Likes

coughNewPipecough

15 Likes

I’ve seen it on F-Droid and been wondering if it’s any good.
I guess Google just gave me a reason to find out for myself!

4 Likes

At least on my laptop I can Brave(ly) avoid the ads.

18 Likes

This is exactly why I moved my websites from AOL hosting to top level domains in the late 1990s. AOL started serving ads on my consumer activism sites, often for the very things I was warning consumers not to buy.

Such a greedy dick move. Let’s hope this comes to the attention of the Biden Administration’s anti-trust team.

25 Likes

I pay for youtube red, only because youtube is fucking unnavigable otherwise.

I use it a lot for music in the car, since I got rid of satellite radio (advertising kids bop as a new station and jacking the price 2$ a month for something already overpriced is not a way to keep my business).

I thought ads played on all YouTube videos already?

5 Likes

Raaaah this is going to suck like a hydrovore pump. I don’t have a channel, mostly use YT for music listening, plus the occasional bizarre-subject video (of which there are many). Ah well, it’s not as if they cannot be replaced, I do love buying CDs.
Here’s an Italian stock phrase: tutti sono necessari, nessuno é indispensabile - everyone is necessary, no one is irreplaceable. Them folks at YT would do well to remember that.

7 Likes

And this is why I always encourage folks to drop youtube and why I have not posted any of my content on that platform for 10 years

3 Likes

You say this as if there is another large, free, convenient video hosting site.

Is there? I’d like there to be, but I suspect not.

6 Likes

blipvert

10 Likes

You could try the AdBlock Plus browser. It snuffs all the ads on Twitter on my Android.

4 Likes

And frankly, that complacency is exactly why YouTube will continue to get away with their nonsense. Perhaps people should reconsider if the world really needs their content.

2 Likes

You didn’t answer the question.

Are we all supposed to stop watching videos now, because people are not going to stop doing that just so you know.

I mean I’m with you I am sick of ads and marketing culture ruining anything even remotely left enjoyable in the internet but there really isn’t any competing business.

And the second that there is they are going to do the same thing because hosting ridiculous file sizes of videos is extremely expensive.

I keep screaming that people are stupid to use zoom when jitsi exists, but that doesn’t mean the world is full of smart people who care.

2 Likes

Vimeo’s still around…

10 Likes

“20 minutes into the future.” :+1:

4 Likes

“Have you any idea how successful censorship is on TV? Don’t know the answer? Hmm. Successful, isn’t it?”

7 Likes

I use brave on my tablet for YT specifically cos the ads thru the app are so annoying.

6 Likes

I honestly did not see the question. like alahmnat said Vimeo.
And face book
And twitter
And instagram

The audience is not the point here and I have no problems with an ad driven model. It is really how YT runs roughshod over their creators in all aspects of the platform.
And finally perhaps a large number of the voices on YT really don’t deserve a platform and perhaps a bit of editorial gate keeping with regard to mass media is not really a bad thing.