Zara pulls shirt resembling concentration camp uniform

I think making the star gray (to simulate silver) rather than yellow would have made a huge difference, although the similarities would have still been evocative to many.

1 Like

OT, but the perception of history teaching in schools in the UK is that it’s all about WW2, but the only bit we ever covered was the Home Front, which was basically the only aspect I wasn’t interested in. I know Iost marks for trying to shoehorn the Battle of Britain into my work…

Of course, I didn’t actually study History, because we were taught ‘Humanities’ instead, which is History and Geography combined, with all the interesting content removed and lots of tedious crap about empathy added. Certainly studied nothing about the Holocaust.

We did do one trip to a synagogue in RE (along with a mosque and a Sikh temple).

Do a google search for “sheriff badge”. You will see a ton of 6 point badges, as well as 5 and 7 point. Jews don’t hold a monopoly on 6 point stars.

1 Like

Almost all of them either have those distinctive rounded points or a circular border though. That, plus the “yellow fabric star sewn to a striped black & white shirt,” tells me that someone didn’t do much research into Old West fashion.

Either that or someone is under the impression that The Boy in the Striped Pajamas was a Western.

Yeah - it doesn’t scream “Wild West” to me, and the thin lines actually make it hard to see the star.

But look close, there are round points at the tips, and I think it actually says Sheriff on there. That pic I found is really large so you can zoom in.

Then someone would have ripped the design and beat them to market. :-/

i don’t think it was meant to be a wild west cosplay outfit. i don’t know how to word this well, but my feeling is that the sheriff badge design was playing on female empowerment (it’s a woman’s shirt), kind of saying “i run this town.” i’m not saying it’s particularly inspired, but there are a lot of designs which use this kind of degenerate irony: “boss of you”, “my house, my rules”, etc.

Come now.

As an Italian, I understand completely – the general feeling in Italy is that no one ever supported Mussolini, and everyone knows someone who’s father was a partisan rebel – but you can’t pretend Franco had no support from the citizens of Spain. You can’t depict half the country as his “cronies.” (And the same goes, of course, for Mussolini).

Who made up the ranks of the Nationalists in the civil war? There were many, many fascists in Spain at the time. Who continued to support him all the way til his death in 1975? I’ve even met (only 2, but still) Francoists personally.

No one likes to admit to their county’s sorry past, but people should still know and accept their countrymen’s mistakes.

4 Likes

Oh c’mon - the Boy in the Striped Pajamas had vertical stripes, not horizontal. And he wasn’t even wearing a star! Nothing alike!

/s

See, my daughter’s school covered the holocaust & WWii pretty much exclusively. She knows loads about that, and absolutely nothing else. Mind you, I don’t think I learned anything in history class. Certainly none of the history I know, anyway.

According to the information I’ve seen it sounds like it was intended as a unisex pajama top for young children. Where are you getting the idea that it’s a “woman’s shirt?”

I tend to agree with you here and in Post 26 as well: I don’t know where the Zara designers are based, but I suspect that it’s either India or Asia, and that they hear “just do as I say” so often that they don’t give a [CENSORED].

Aha, I see that even in Spain, the Cluelessness is strong, and @werkbau gives good historical reasons: with little to no Jewish residents thanks to Spain driving them all out after the Reconquista, and post-civil war Spain shuttered up as Franco did his “LA LA LA I CAN’T HEAR YOU” to the rest of Europe during the war, to the point of even making Else and Rick in Casablanca siblings instead of lovers(!), well, the pieces are set for these sorts of train wrecks.

To me, it just reveals a lack of attention to detail that makes me not want to buy their products at all.

from the shape of the article, and how Zara mostly caters to women (I’ve been in a few).

nonetheless, there are also toddler’s shirts with phrases like “boss of you”, with the same sort of ironic intent, so my point stands.

You might want to rephrase that sentence. :wink:

Maybe it was intended as written. Honesty being the best policy and all that, plus after all, every one of us was inside a woman once.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.