Zone out watching and configuring hyperdimensional cubes

Originally published at: Zone out watching and configuring hyperdimensional cubes | Boing Boing

1 Like

space physics GIF

2 Likes

And if you like this sort of thing, zone out watching my slowly rotating cube within a cube within a cube (shot with a virtual camera with a very, very long lens) - it’s like watching clouds gradually change shape – if those clouds were Josef Albers paintings. Like many things, sometimes it’s hard to tell exactly which way things are moving, and like many things, this video ends exactly where it started.

2 Likes

Hyperdimensional cubes?

This is what building your own level in the Descent editor looked like back in the DOS days. Clipping? Nah, you have some Tardis level box in a box with a hallway into another room that exists inside an alternate first box kinds of scenario.

3 Likes

A tesseract is my company logo and part of the business name. Clients simply refer to the business as ‘Tesseract’ now. I initially learned about hypercubes from the old Heinlein story “And He Built A Crooked House”.

1 Like

!!!

(checks display, nope still just pixels in x,y) Is there something about my display I was unaware of?

This would make more sense to me if different edges were different colors, to indicate their depth in the 4th direction. Guess I’ll have to hack on the code.

1 Like

This crashed my Firefox. So, I tried it in chrome and it crashed my computer. What is that thing doing???

1 Like

… and then once more after that :face_with_monocle:

Odd. My screen can only display two dimensions.

Mine shows length, width, and time, but you do have to wait a little for the third one.

3 Likes

Tis got me thinking. Obviously our screens are 2D, yet we are so used to seeing 3D objects represented in 2D that it basically doesn’t matter. Would it be possible to reach that level of familiarity with 3D representations of 4D objects? Obviously we can’t perceive four dimensions, but that way it would basically not matter, just like it doesn’t matter that movies and video games are in 2D (modern developments notwithstanding), yet allow us to fully immerse ourselves in a 3D world.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.