Zuckerberg: Facebook will not stop spying on Americans to comply with EU privacy law

The core to any solution to the data privacy problem will have to be a clear legal understanding that the individual owns any data about himself and can choose with whom to share it and under what terms and circumstances.

The technical and contractual details can follow on a nation-by-nation basis, but if that’s not the starting principle then the Facebooks and Experians and Grindrs and other sociopathic “slow AIs” of the world, along with authoritarian nation-states, are going to keep abusing and mishandling highly personal data.

There’s a quote on Ars that says the opposite of this article (and the source)

Title: CEO says Facebook will impose new EU privacy rules “everywhere”

Actual quote: “We’re going to make all the same controls and settings available everywhere, not just in Europe,”

I suspect Ars read his words too optimistically, since offering certain new or revamp options doesn’t necessarily mean complying with the GDPR.

You make a good point. Of course it’s not the author’s choice for BB to have Facebook trackers or even a presence there, but considering the general stance of BB, it’s certainly an element of contradiction.

On the other hand, I think Facebook is shit but I have an account there.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.