$10,000 audiophile ethernet cable

[Permalink]

You can’t hear the difference? Really?

It sounds so much better to me, you might want to get that looked at.

6 Likes

“Point the arrow in the direction of the flow of music.” Wow, just wow.

8 Likes

Shake some chicken bones at it, it purifies the audio texture.

6 Likes

To be excessively fair, I have a Nakamichi Soundspace system that uses RJ45 and CAT5 cable to get the analogue signals to the speakers, but that cost a small portion of the cost of that cable - and I think the point of using Cat5 was that it would be easy to run through walls/conduit, which doesn’t apply here.

Does anyone ever buy those cables or are they just there to make $100 ones look reasonable?

5 Likes

You see, electrons, much like people, work better the more money you apply. Why use that plebeian element known as copper, when gold is, well, gold? I think the choice is obvious, sir.

4 Likes

I’ll admit it, when I was 25 I had the $60 wires. At least I had the good sense to worry I had been ripped off.

2 Likes

I bought a $20 iphone screen protector the other day, so I’ve go no business making fun of audiophiles.

3 Likes

I don’t think anyone goes out to buy these. Very likely the way it works is a wealthy person comes to a high-end AV installer and says, “I have X amount to build a home theater/sound system; go to it”. (I used to know a guy who ran a company that operated like this)

The insane product descriptions for overly priced stuff are posted on their websites likely so that when said customers go over the invoice, they can look at a product page that passes a casual inspection. “Hmm, yes that’s a technical sounding real product listed at $10k, so that line item isn’t made up” goes the thinking is my guess. The AV installer pays 10% or whatever for the list price of the product, which cost pennies to produce, they exchange knowing glances, and both walk away richer.

That’s also why no matter how much bad press these product pages get, they don’t get pulled. No amount of bad press will see them do less business, since their direct purchasers know the product is bunk.

15 Likes

I wonder if the person who wrote the copy for this product felt dirty afterwards.

4 Likes

These companies are just fronts for Marxist revolutionaries: when the revolution comes they’ll have a handy list of the first people to put up against the wall.

11 Likes

“When insulation is unbiased, it slows down parts of the signal differently, a big problem for very time-sensitive multi-octave audio.”

This is so true. I always find my zeroes are way slower than the ones on my regular ethernet cable. Sometimes its like they don’t exist.

7 Likes

Why? Because you have an iphone? Or because you don’t?

BTW, I just paid $3 for a screen protector, including installation. The price is often half this much, but I didn’t feel ripped off. The guy gave me a nice wedge of watermelon to eat while he worked.

All the rediculousness aside, the connectors do look nice.

2 Likes

Do commercially-susceptible idiot audiophiles still even exist? I mean, after 40+ years of being mocked by audio engineers, reviewers, musicians, and producers, where can they possibly come from? It’s one thing if by paying $10,000 you can slightly improve your listening experience when you’re a billionaire and don’t give a damn, but of course this is just fraud, and even billionaires don’t like being ripped off by con artists.

Speaking of fraud, since you could easily analyze the signals produced by cheap vs. expensive cables, how do these companies escape civil litigation and criminal charges?

1 Like

Hmm. That plastic tab thingy that keeps the connector in place seems better than the standard. Also, they promise a lifetime warranty. I wonder if that includes the plastic tab thingy… It’s a bit steep, just to ensure a replacement when some intellectually &/ motorially challenged user brakes the tab thingy within 48 hours of usage. Would warm the cockles of my tiny, cold heart, though, to get to call their support about twice a week to demand a replacement.

1 Like

For $10,000, you could just book a struggling musician to come to your house and play for you live every single day for a year.

Hell, you could buy an instrument of your choice, hire an instructor, and learn how to play your own “high fidelity” music.

8 Likes

Seems legit.

1 Like

They come from the same place conspiracy theorists come from, despite all the mocking that they receive.

Certain people crave importance. Delusions of grandeur grant their victims a feeling of importance, typically through making them feel like they’re part of some hidden truth that others are just too stubborn or ungifted enough to see or understand. By imagining themselves to be part of a small elite burdened with a difficult truth, the delusional elevate their own self-importance.

In reality, they’re just empty and unhappy people bored with life or unable to come to grips with the fact that ultimately most everything we do is meaningless. They desperately need to feel like they are part of something bigger and more enduring than themselves - that they’re special, and in so being are tasked with being a champion for some greater cause that will be their legacy.

For some, this takes the form of conspiracy theory, seeking to free the world from the evil machinations of “the Government” or “the aliens” or “the Russians” or whatever. For others, it takes subtler forms - such as seeking to preserve the beauty of music, by upholding the secrets to “true” music enjoyment. They equate their “pristine” listening experience with the preservation of the sanctity of music itself. They are the lonely defenders of good musical taste - burdened with knowing a “truth” that the rest of the world refuses to recognize.

5 Likes

And they are CAT 7, apparently.
I’d love to see a cable engineer test these, if nothing else then to see if they’d actually work at 10GBit.