3 Likes

Damn it, I needed 27 feet.

8 Likes

Sound would be off.

5 Likes

Only a 4.4?

Pffft.

1 Like

Just $206 per meter - that’s a pittance compared to some Pear Anjou wires.

2 Likes

I only need 25. If I clip out the excess, I could send you the spare foot?

6 Likes

Sure, it’s a lot of money, but… listen to that soundstage!

1 Like

While you do need better quality cables when you get past 12 feet or so… this is just nuts.

It enhances the error correction protocol and squares off the waveforms.

4 Likes

Oh, so it clips them?

2 Likes

And still a better value than a VW Westy Syncro, an air-cooled Porsche, or many a vintage BMW motorcycle.

5 Likes

Dunno 'bout the reviewers, but P. T. Barnum is still scoring very, very well.

6 Likes

It’s more “airy”!

1 Like

Is it quantum? I can tell if it isn’t.

I know most people can’t tell, and hey, lucky for those guys! They can buy any old HDMI cables.

:wink:

10 Likes

Danceable!

1 Like

Upgrade available here:

1 Like

To be fair, that looks like one of those cases of an automated pricing algorithm gone awry, due to a data entry typo or programming error. Neither the manufacturer nor the seller seem to deal in any other absurdly exorbitant audiophile gear.

1 Like

2.5mm jacks? Why not RCA?

Actually, yes. With limitations.

HDMI sends three kinds of data; video, as raw pixel-by-pixel data, and data island period and control period, where packetized data with error correction are sent. Audio is the data island kind.

Long cables distort the signals. Differential signalling, used these days in anything from HDMI to SATA to USB to Ethernet, is more robust against it but is not omnipotent.

At short distances, it won’t matter; anything goes and the cheapest is likely to work. At mid distances, the errors start showing; image problems show, image appears and disappears, link with the monitor is unstable. Better cable helps here, within reason; by the time you’re in the expensive-ish realm you’re usually past the point of diminishing returns.

For yet longer distances even the costly wiring won’t save you. You need either an adapter that transcodes the signal to lower-bandwidth form that can go over CAT6 cable, or bite the bullet and go analog, which degrades visibly but in a more gradual way. (You get smeared image and noise and other sorts of artefacts, but it won’t just blank out on you from full quality. Digital holds undistorted better, but analog degrades more gracefully. Pick your poison based on the actual situation.)

3 Likes

Or you could do what the HDMI standard says, and use a signal booster or repeater for every 30 meter stretch of cable. Technically arbitrary lengths can be achieved as long as you have decent shielding from interference.

7 Likes