Audiophile quality, white, coffee, 26.3' HDMI cable a value at $1651

I’m told that some sellers increase prices to absurd levels when an item is temporarily out of stock- it’s easier than delisting and relisting it.

3 Likes

If you look at the specifications section, it clarifies that the cable is 26.3 inches, not feet.

1 Like

Unless the sound was being sent as actual audio air vibrations, I do not think 26ft is enough to matter. It’s about 8M in real units, so assuming a propagation speed of 0.6c as is typical in wires, or around 2 * 10^8 M/s, the overall delay is around 40ns - any jitter is going to be undetectable and signal loss will be too small to matter. When a cable at these kinds of frequencies reaches around 30M, that’s when cable loss starts to make repeaters useful. At a site where I do a little teaching, I plug my local wireless network into a physical 100Mb/s Ethernet jack via a 25M CAT 5 cable, and really the packet loss is insignificant.

1 Like

Free Shipping, you haters! Free feckin’ shipping!

6 Likes

I’m glad I’m not an audiophile. It must be miserable to be unable to enjoy so much everyday sound reproduction.

Modern tech seems to be producing a similarly unfortunate generation of videophiles. There’s people who will swear blind that they can easily tell the difference between 60FPS and 120FPS gaming, and once you’ve seen the latter you just can’t go back. it sounds terrible.

2 Likes

26 ft of it only costs $51. It’s that last 0.3 ft tha’s so pricey.

2 Likes

This review stands out:

Fair quality but BUYER BEWARE!

What’s great about it: Excellent Picture Quality, Fine Design
What’s not so great: Sensitivity to Novice Summoner Error, May Invoke Beast by Accident, sratches easily

The manufacture of this cable is well-intentioned, but I fear that the typical buyer of this type of cable is entering into this transaction with a false sense of purpose. As is known in high-end display circles, the “cable pursued is seldom the cable gained” as the saying goes, and this is indeed the case here. I was surprised that no effort was made in the advertisement of this cable to inform potential buyers of the proper procedures of procurement and use, as has so widely been a concern of late; as the massacres of the past decade have revealed, this is certainly no game for novices.

In particular, this cable proves exceedingly difficult to control when used to summon; the pronunciation and grammatical context of the summon itself is quite delicate, and in the hands of a layman, the results can be quite disastrous. My only hope is that none invoke the forbidden Channel (may it rest for Ever) by accident - I do not think the Keepers are in such a state as to defend the world against the Unnamed Ones again, especially given the current political climate.

That said, the quality of picture is excellent, especially for animated films. I am on my third watching of “Shrek” just today and it is a brand-new experience each time.

3 Likes

There is a noticeable difference between 60FPS and 75FPS, but anyone who says they can see a difference past about 80FPS is a liar or on a ton of meth.

1 Like

Invite some friends over for a (gentle) game of tug-of-war.

Bonus: by stretching the cable out, you are lowering your cost-per-foot.

6 Likes

Say what you will, but their cables do make great coffee:

https://twitter.com/BoingBoingHuffR/status/562886388740550658

1 Like

I think if you notice the difference between 60 and even 75fps, the game itself probably isn’t interesting enough.

2 Likes

Would this be true also for head-mounted motion-tracking VR displays?

1 Like

Grrrr!

7 Likes

I played my tinfoil cylinders on both a phonograph and a VW Westy Syncro, and the audio in the latter was terrible. Why do people do that to themselves?

3 Likes

I was just checking the standards, since I remembered something about a maximum segment length of 100M, mostly for the sake of standardizing signal timing. Of course it’s always more complicated, isn’t it?

2 Likes

I also really enjoy my Audeze LCD3s, Redwine amp and cryogenically frozen cables. All were gifts from Alex @ Audeze, however. Love that guy.

2 Likes

For that sort of money I’d expect the ones to be classy sans-serif and the zeros should be perfectly round with an exciting European slash through them.

5 Likes

I didn’t understand that. Apart from anything else, if you buy a decent air cooled 911, R600 or similar, you won’t be selling it for 1% of its purchase price on eBay a year or so later when you need to clear out the junk.

Oh dear. The zeroes must not have a slash through them as the ends of the slash stick out and cause the zeroes to drag on the wire, introducing timing errors. The ones need to be serif so that the drag in the wire is exactly the same as for a zero, ensuring they both propagate at the same speed.

7 Likes

This one had me silently crying with laughter.

What’s great about it: Words cannot express.What’s not so great: Too cheap; most people undeserving of such fine quality cableing.
If
I were a more casual consumer, the content of my review would be the
colloquialism “'Nuff said.” Since I feel I’m performing a duty to Best
Buy and its customers, I must tell them that this cable is woefully
underpriced.
Let’s
start with the name of the cable. They should call this an SHDMI for
Super HD. Possibly even throw in a U for Ultra. There should also
numbers and the letter X on the end.
Honestly,
with picture quality of this magnitude, I wish there were some sort of
vacuum attachment which would continuously drain money from my wallet.
That’s the only thing close to a “fair trade” for a cable like this.
Let’s
end with the audio quality. Every sound was so crystal clear I was
moved to tears, whether I was listening to operatic singing or duck
flatulence. Really just an excellent cable. I wish I could trade years
of my life to AudioQuest, because my earthly possessions are woefully
inadequate for a cable of this supreme quality.
Bravo, AudioQuest.
Bravo.

No, I would not recommend this to a friend.

It is a dig at toys I will spend money on. It is also not a completely correct accounting , nor complete :slight_smile:

1 Like