860-piece resistor kit

[Permalink]

It’s a rugged closable cardboard box [quote=“frauenfelder, post:1, topic:19667”]
[<a href=“http://boingboing.net/2014/01/16/860-piece-resistor-kit.html”>Permalink</a>]
[/quote]

it’s just a cardboard shipping box mate.

1 Like

0 Ohm? What use is that, wouldn’t that just be a piece of wire? (assuming the 0 didn’t mean superconductive)

The problem with this is that you tend to use some resistors much more than others. This is great for making sure you always have some weirdass resistor that something is calling for, but you’re going to have to supplement on the more commonly used ones. I guess I would have been a little happier if it was ten resisters of each type, but a hundred 330, 1k, and 10k ohm resisters.

2 Likes

In high school electronics class we made fake 47kΩ resistors: a straight length of wire, then layers of carefully cut toilet paper tube coated in clear nail polish that we striped with colored nail polish. We would then replace the real 47kΩ resistor that sat across the incoming 120V line on the power supply we each ran our DC projects from (which was the first project you built at the start of the school year). It was the one component that was underneath the wooden board, ensuring that a) the swap usually wasn’t noticed, and that b) the resulting bang when they plugged the cord in would usually lift the whole thing up off the lab table. Hilarity did thus ensue.

3 Likes

Back in the good old 1980s, Radio Shack sold a set of 300 resistors, with more of the common values and fewer of the oddball values. I worked my way through three of these sets over the decades of building pirate radio transmitters and oscilloscope clocks etc., but I still have some resistors left. I’d use up the 10K resistors early, and have many 100K left over.

I put them in Akro-Mills 36 drawer plastic parts bins for easy access.

1 Like

A zero-ohm resistor is a jumper wire that looks like a resistor, so it’s easy to handle with automated machinery. They are common in older consumer electronics with single-sided circuit boards. They typically have one black stripe, meaning “0”.

1 Like

I have been happy with other Joe Knows Electronics purchases through Amazon. I use their super bright LEDs, sold in packs of 100. Because I’m only buying one component type, the packaging is just a little ziplock-type bag, but it works well, and the lights are brighter than anything I can source locally.

1 Like

The Joe Knows Resister kit and the similar Joe Knows capacitor kit both rock. It makes getting to the right resistor a quick and painless exercise. the simple magic: they are in order and well labeled. I have had to restock the 100k, 10k, and 200 ohm baggies. No big deal. The capacitor set is even more useful as it is not as easy to figure out the capacitance values. Being able to read the bag and know you have the right part is sweet.

2 Likes

Having been in the electronics world for 40 years, I agree fully about capacitors. I have to make educated guesses sometimes, and I’ve read the labels on thousands of the buggers. For instance, a 270 pF capacitor might say “270” or “271”. But a 27 pF cap may be either “270” or “27”. I sometimes have to see another part made by the same company to figure it out.

1 Like

tubedepot.com has different sized but similar 1/2 watt resistor packs. I found it helpful to put in notecard dividers in powers of ten: 1 ohm+, 10 ohm+, 100 ohm+… 1MOhm+, 10MOhm+. The Joe’s kit seems better labelled because the values are on stickers where they can be seen from the top, rather than stickers in the middle of the bags in the tubedepot kits.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.