A bunch of electronics components for $10

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/01/a-bunch-of-electronics-compone.html

1 Like

One of the better deals I’ve seen offered by Boing Boing, to be honest.

1 Like

This is not a bad deal. It would be harder to do better unless you’re ordering in quantities of 1000.

And the box ain’t half bad either.

1 Like

The 12$ kit is an even better deal with a breadboard and a 5V breakout power supply.

5 Likes

With Trump’s taxes soon to be $12.50

1 Like

I’m fascinated by the “installation” option for $103.69.

4 Likes

+1 Working with discrete components is made much more pleasant by a breadboard. I love these tiny ones - I’m only a little ashamed to admit that I’ve occasionally just put them into service.

Build prototype, shrink-wrap, and use it until something corrodes enough to cause problems…

3 Likes

Download KiCad, Eagle or something, draw the circuit up and then send it of to someplace like OSHpark, and have a PCB made. You’ll never consider using a breadboard permanently again!

2 Likes

You’re correct, of course. But the shrink wrap and heat gun are right there!

It has gotten a lot easier to get boards made. For any serious project, I skip breadboarding entirely, and send a design off before prototyping. I’m not perfect, but it’s usually easy to modify the board. I can then rev it if I’m making any more.

2 Likes

Pff. Etch your own damn board!

1 Like

Wow. This would have been incredible for me in 1984, when I started soldering.

IIRC (and I may not), I couldn’t even get LEDs for less than $4/each in Japan. (LEDs were super pricy back then.)

3 Likes

Hmm, is there someone working on a 3D printer that can print discrete electronic components? I am destined to have at least a hundred times the number of components I will ever use just so I have that one thing I need when I need it. Electronics hacking is sort of sickening from an environmental perspective.

74hc595 ICs are my jam. So useful.

(@74hc595 isn’t so bad either.)

2 Likes

I prefer to let someone else, with the right facilities, deal with the ferric chloride…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.