A 12 year-old studies the weird cost of playing as a girl

Maybe it shows your bias in assuming that such remarks would only be made from ignorance?

You mean like your remarks?

Your reply is fairly meaningless. You’re not actually saying anything insightful, even though I can tell you REALLY think you are.

Vague expectations and unwritten social norms hardly ever withstand close scrutiny.

Can you expand on this? What “vague expectations” and “unwritten social norms” are you talking about, exactly? And what sort of scrutiny are you speaking of? In the context of the conversation you are responding to (and surely, you’re not just randomly lecturing here, right, and are taking part in a conversation?): Would this scrutiny you’re referring to be the man who vaguely scrutinized the (un)necessity of makeup to a woman by telling her she could just not wear it? WOW! Such scrutiny! Much impressed.

Especially when they more or less contradict the formally-defined rules people work from, which frequently happens.

“They” clearly refers to the non-defined “vague expectations and social norms” you mentioned previously. I still need you to explain what you mean by that. Additionally, could you explain to me what the “formally-defined rules people work from” are, and your research indicating that these “formally-defined rules” contradict your idea of “vague expectations and unwritten social norms”? How often, exactly, is “frequent” and how did you come up with that figure? (Or maaaaaybe it’s just confirmation bias? Along with your own biases as a man who doesn’t deal with this shit every day? Huh.)

When people can force these things to be made explicit they have much greater chance of showing up social contradictions which may have been unexamined by some, and themselves being treated more fairly.

Citation needed, specifically in the context of women and gender social norms. Specifically, in the context onfthis conversation, do you think I was not aware that I could just not wear makeup? And that this was some sort of unexamined revelation of mine? Or any other woman, for that matter? Really?

Your vague lecturing seems to be making the assumption that women just blindly follow social norms and have never, ever considered these social norms, their context, or their importance, and if we only had a man to point them out, well, maybe we’d totally see how ridiculous they were!

Being aware of unjustified expectations might be a matter of simple acceptance to some people, but of refutation to others.

Well! Aren’t you just an impressive, superior person. You do not accept “unjustified expectations” and in fact, you refute them! You don’t really explain what you mean by “unjustifiable expectations” nor exactly how you refute them, but I assume, in the context of this conversation, you mean the man who refuted women “needing” to wear makeup. WOW! such refute. Much impressed.

Saying that the latter implies some sort of “perceived superiority” simply frames this as a personal problem.

This is gibberhis. Also, maybe it’s you who has the problem with perceptive superiority. But what do I know? I’m just a woman and you’re a lecturing man!

One might assume (as it so happens that I do) that a practically-minded person who cares about fair treatment might prefer processes which actively confront these problems - rather than merely inspire sympathy and collective rumination.

Wow, a self-described practically-minded man! I am impressed. May I shake your hand? What would I ever do without a practically-minded person to talk to me about fair treatment and how to confront the problem of unfair treatment? OH JOY! It’s my lucky day! Without you, I may never have the nerve to actively confront problems!

Who said anything about wanting to merely inspire sympathy and collective rumination, anyway? Oh, I forgot. Women aren’t good at that deep thinking stuff. It’s totally great that I have a practically minded man to teach me how to actively confront problems rather than just trying to garner sympathy and collective rumination!

Thanks so much for your vague lecture about confronting social norms, sir. Much impressed. Very wow.

NOTE: I DO NOT actually want you to expand your thoughts. I was being snarky. Sarcastic. Not serious. So, please. No more un-examined, self-centered lecturing me on how I should listen to practically-minded men so that I know how to activity confront unfair gender norms! Thanks so much. :smile:

7 Likes