25 Invisible Benefits of Gaming While Male

[Permalink]

1 Like

15 Likes

Itā€™s a good post, and a good list. I like/hate #25, because itā€™s true. Following the comments on the article, there is a lot of talk about default gender in gaming. Itā€™s true that ā€˜SWMā€™ is default in the majority of games, but even if the gender choice in a game is left as a blank to be filled in by typing, then to be interpreted by the game engine, there will always be a ā€˜defaultā€™ gender choice. Even within the programming, a programmer has to choose the order in which the interpreter looks at the choice made by the player - creating an invisible default.

Itā€™s gender turtles all the way down.

Important video! And cool to see it coming to men, from men ā€“ interesting twist, that. But, itā€™s a littleā€¦surface. I mightā€™ve enjoyed a more in-depth take on fewer items rather than a list-blast that doesnā€™t make me stop and think.

Like #1. Totally TRUE! As a dude gamer, Iā€™ve got the luxury of ignoring or being ignorant of the problems of being a woman gamer. It is a thing my gender allows. But it is also a thing that being a decent human being disallows. Itā€™s a benefit of being an ignorant male gamer, not just a male gamer, period.

Itā€™s also a weakness ā€“ it makes it harder to be a decent human being because it takes an effort to see what others see simply as a feature of their lives. Being ignorant of othersā€™ experience is something that a lot of male gamers would probably not like to be, but find that the ā€œdefault stateā€ inures them.

I dunno, I think a more in-depth look at these benefits would be more constructive than a listicle. But I suppose we need to start somewhere, and this is a nice and necessary place to start. I also might be looking too closely at it, though.

I do wonder how many rape threats are going to happen to the dudes who did this video nowā€¦well, I guess I donā€™t really wonder.

ā€¦Iā€™m reminded of how FemShep in Mass Effect walks and sits, and how that says much different things about her as a her than it does about her as a him.

This is great, nicely echoing the list in Peggy McIntoshā€™s foundational article on white privilege. In fact, it makes me wonder if Jonathan McIntosh is like, her son, maybe?

2 Likes

Anyone been ā€˜enjoyingā€™ Zoe Quinnā€™s twitter feed today?

1 Like

Just for me personallyā€¦#21 is bogus. Not that female gamers donā€™t get asked about inappropriate questions about the size of various body parts, but in that ONLY female gamers get this. As a male gamer, I have been asked by female gamers that question, and I have also felt consistent joking and ridicule from male gamers about this. Its a common theme among males to tease about the size of oneā€™s manhood, and while the narrative differs, the act is the same. You find yourself having to brush aside or face head on what is at its core an inappropriate and non-relevant question in regards to playing a game.

I am not blind to many of these as being true issues for a female gamer; however, some of these items simply should not matter. They should be non issues, but are issuesā€¦its got nothing to do with gaming, being a female gamer, or game development by males. They are issues because someone or some group cannot get their collective heads out of their collective asses.

1 Like

This is great. I hope it reaches at least some of those who need to take a look inside.

1 Like

It is possible to make this less of an issue - Bioware is pretty good at it - by making the gender options appear on the screen in a random order for each character creation process. There are other methods that could do the same.

Of course, then youā€™ve got the issue of the ā€œdefaultā€ character for marketing purposes. Bioware wasnā€™t as good at that. >.<

3 Likes

what is with the mustache at the 2 min mark? it looks kind of fake.

what is with the comment at mooglegiant? it looks kind of irrelevant.

3 Likes

As a guy and a gamer I knew this was an issue but HOLY CRAP, all the crap females deal with in games is ridiculous. I only worry about what people think when I get pwned (early and often), not every other second where my gender becomes apparent.

Itā€™s natural lip enhancement.

This is absolute BS.

Iā€™m a male white gamer and I NEVER harassed nor witnessed any harassment AT ALL.

So whatā€™s the deal with this useless video.

This is pure non-sense.

Are you completely blind and deaf? This shit is everywhere

6 Likes

That must be niceā€¦ being a male gamerā€¦ never witnessing any harassmentā€¦ hmmmm itā€™s almost like thereā€™s some reason for thatā€¦ let me thinkā€¦

12 Likes

Howā€™s the coffee in ā€˜being part of the problemā€™ land? Bitter?

5 Likes

And we have our first brand new poster in a gaming thread, who will no doubt stay with us for many years, and not disappear immediately after crapping out his ā€˜contributionā€™.

I really need to make a BB-bingo card for the comment section when thereā€™s a post about gamingā€¦

6 Likes

Oh!! I figured it out!!

Maybe itā€™s because you canā€™t see it! You could even say itā€™sā€¦ invisibleā€¦??

2 Likes

So is this the part of the dicussion thread where we get to talk about production values? Because Iā€™d like to lodge a complaint about facial distortion