25 Invisible Benefits of Gaming While Male

I thought about randomization of start after I posted. Good solution.

1 Like

Welcome to BoingBoing, newposter. We hope you will stick around to contribute something usefulā€¦

This is satire, right?

2 Likes

Man, this really makes think back to the glory days of my youth when seeing a lame PSA on TV really made me think about my life and what I could do to change it. The only thing that could make this better would be some 80s white dude rap.

PSAs that really changed my life:

I learned it from YOU!

I almost became an amputee before I saw THIS commercial:

You know, MARIJUANA:

The thrill can KILL:

2 Likes

I suppose thatā€™s a benefit of only playing single-player games.

10 Likes

Single-player games have lots of advantages. No scheduling, no logistics, freedom to not play (nobody will complain if you wonā€™t)ā€¦ And, no people to deal with.

7 Likes

I mean, the guy has a baby face and I think heā€™d look better without it.

related, my comment is irrelevant. most comments are. as is your reply, and this one.

2 Likes

Iā€™m still not happy with the term / the concept of ā€œprivilegeā€.

Damn it, those are rights, not privileges. There is some really bad aftertaste stuck to the idea of redefining ā€œrightsā€ as ā€œprivilegesā€.

Of course these rights should be enjoyed by all genders, colors, creeds, nations, etc. alike. And unfortunately, they arenā€™t.

The members of the least-discriminated-against group need to be made aware that other people canā€™t take their own rights for granted. The term ā€œprivilegeā€ is obviously designed to achieve that.

It moves the issues from being Somebody Elseā€™s Problem (THEIR rights are violated) to an unfair advantage that the ā€œprivilegedā€ are enjoying themselves, in order to motivate them to join the fight. It creates guilt in order to motivate people to care about other peopleā€™s problems. Which they should anyway, even if they are completely guilt-less.

It is not hard to imagine that some people who are honestly guilt-less, who already make an effort to care, to speak up, to act when other people are deprived of rights that they themselves get to enjoy ā€œfor freeā€, might react adversely when they are told that ā€œbeing treated decentlyā€ is not a right but a privilege that they should feel bad for, because of their skin color. Of course that is not what is meant. But you donā€™t need to be part of the problem to misunderstand it that way.

P.S.: Just to be clear, I am not trying to defend people who shout ā€œBSā€ and are incapable of ending a question with a question mark.

2 Likes

I doubt it, no matter how many celebrities the videoā€™s packed with. Most of this is common sense stuff. Donā€™t be a creep. Donā€™t be an asshole. Donā€™t stereotype. If this shit happens, I doubt itā€™s because people donā€™t know any better. The community itself needs to quash bad behavior. Being aware of it isnā€™t enough.

1 Like

Oh, so youā€™ve played ever game, with ever person ever, and can speak to every single persons experiences in gaming? Cool trick!

1 Like

Sadly, probably not. These are some real earnest fuckers, I think. THEY donā€™t see it, so it must not existā€¦ Or itā€™s just a troll stirring up troubleā€¦ either way itā€™s probably not satire.

1 Like

Heā€™s real. Have a look at his twitter feed. Same username.

2 Likes

Ughā€¦ Is there something that calls these guys here whenever this topic pops up? Same with issues related to race.

3 Likes

Itā€™s important to not alienate the ones we see as needing to change. Otherwise all you get is pushback with no progress and may end up also pushing away some of those who already care.

The only true RIGHTS are to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. Everything thereafter is technically a privilege in support of those rights.

Who says?

I didnā€™t mean being aware, most of them clearly arenā€™t. I meant asking the question to oneself: Am I being a creep? Am I hurting anyone? A recent MF thread made me have a few second looks at myself. Itā€™s invaluable.

Holy crap, i was CONVINCED it was satire! Man, you fail at self awareness.

I guess. A lot of the stuff mentioned in that video is just plain harassment. though. Itā€™s unacceptable anywhere.

1. I can choose to remain completely oblivious, or indifferent to the harassment that many women face in gaming spaces.

Thatā€™s item 1 from the list of 25. ::golfclap::

4 Likes