A Short History of Game Panics

Not to be pedantic, but whether you’re killing a deer, a duck, a rabbit, or a person, you’re still using a gun for the purpose it was designed for: efficient killing.

1 Like

This would look great on a t-shirt worn to a rave party.

But just don’t expect anything from what you’re served, apparently.

Then you went to Japan and saw all the weird sex-related video games that are popular there, and also noticed the very different attitudes towards female sexual autonomy, and rethought your adolescent conclusions.

Some people need to stop living in fear and stroking their boomsticks for comfort.

An insignificant number when compared tot he same comments about television.

1 Like

Sorry buddy, not everyone gets to live in a crime free zone.

Pff. It’s a self perpetuating cycle. People wet their pants about getting robbed by ‘bad people’ so they pack their guns around. Guns become seen as a way to solve problems and a representation of masculinity and self reliance (like a sword 200 years ago). As if it would be in any way an intelligent choice to start banging away at anybody while dropping your kid off at school.

I lived in one of the highest crime areas in Canada for 12 years. Most of that crime was theft, occasionally knife crime and a bit of highly focused gun crime (gangsters killing other gangsters). If more of us had carried guns more people would be dead. That is in Canada, where we certainly have guns and more than enough gun fetishists, but we don’t live under the intensely paranoid mythology of dangers around every corner.

Once again, people need to get over their pants wetting fear and quit stroking their boomsticks for comfort as if they make a person safer. It is insanity, it only makes things worse.

Guns in a video game, who gives a crap, pixels shooting pixels…

3 Likes

No… its not, not even close(sigh ). You gun-control nuts should really get a new shtick.

You are suggesting that people carrying firearms for self protection are committing crimes with them.

Personally, I would suggest that you top getting your philosophy from Comedy Central, try cracking a book instead.

I’m not a gun control nut at all. I don’t actually give a crap what you guys do on your side of the border. Keep fetishizing guns, shooting each other, having an absurd multiple of a typical per capita gun death rate. Not my problem, you guys go ahead.

People who legally own and carry guns may or may not use them to commit crimes. People who live in a culture that glorifies guns will carry and use them more often than people who live in a different culture (such as almost everywhere else in the world aside from war zones).

Your gun control nuts vs gun fetishists is a completely local phenomenon. The rest of us think of it as a weird cultural insanity. It only bugs us when you try to export it, or export your war machine to innocent shores. Don’t lump me into one side or another of your family dispute. I’ll just be one of the neighbours watching through the windows and glad your silly little spat has nothing to do with me.

I am prepared to agree with you here( kinda ). I would modify your statement somewhat to describe this ‘glorification of guns’ more along the lines of ‘glorification of violence’. Again, I point to television as the culprit here.

Television would be the culprit if it had started in the 1940s. Movies if it had started in the 20s. But the truth is there seems to be a deep rooted cultural fixation with guns and gunfights. Probably some of it is rooted in the Revolution and the locals using their guns to kick out the Brits. Lots more is rooted in the frontier stuff, and quite a bit in fear of (insert racial group). Guns are seen as a key tool in resolving your problems in a way they are not for much of the rest of the world, even those countries with relatively high gun ownership (like Switzerland and Finland, which have less than 1/10th the gun crime rates).

I actually think the polarization of the debate about gun control has made things worse, not better. Heated venom about miniscule details of gun regulation completely distracts from the core cultural problem of gun violence. From the outside looking in we can see you guys shouting past each other about this or that regulation while >8000 of you die every year to gun violence, more than 30 a day. From where I am sitting that looks insane.

I previously addressed that very point in my post, when I said the following:

“Yes, there have always been a handful of people who have taken things too far, obsessive/compulsive card players or dice players or chess players. But they were the exception, not the rule. The rule, the norm of video game playing is to play them a lot. Videogaming and online gaming is a mindset, a Way of Life, for many many players. As is The Internet.”

You’re missing (or avoiding?) the point. Yes, I’m sure “everyone you know who used to play World of Warcraft” aren’t doing so any more, but I’m betting they’re still playing some kind of obsessive, time-consuming game. Even the low-tech, limited funds types who don’t spent much on the high-end games can still play the "app"y games like candy crush saga, farmville, bejeweled blitz, or whatthehellever (so many of which are so similar to one another, they’re almost templates of one another.)

The reluctance on the parts of some people here to avoid admitting the obvious borders on…mania…brain washing…almost a religious fervor to it. Childhood and adult obesity drastically increased at the same time as the mass-production and mass-acceptance of home-based video game systems, and The Internet. And it’s only going to get worse. I’m not Chicken Little here. Advertising for fast food might have a slight effect on all this, but we can’t blame McDonald’s and commercials for McDonald’s for what is clearly, to be blamed on our collective infatuation with the isolating, dehumanizing, sedentary, solitary forms of entertainment that we are being encouraged to accept as the norm. Generations of kids are being raised on it: they know no better; they don’t know that there is anything different than staring at a screen for ones entertainment, news, music, games, human interactions. What’s worse (as I’ve stated in other posts) generations are now learning how to behave from watching people act like their not acting on Social Media, from people who are tailoring their online behaviors for the specific purpose of getting the attention of others. What could be less real, less authentic?

It’s all just horrible.

Well you’d bet wrong. Would you also bet that everyone who binge drank in college continued to do so for the rest of their life?

Almost all of the people I used to raid with played games obsessively before WoW and did so after WoW, but now between jobs and raising families most of us just don’t have that kind of time to put into a game anymore. And games just don’t have the same sort of pull anymore either. Like I said, more interesting games have not translated to more draw. It was about who we were, not about the games themselves. Most of them are more interested in board games than online games now, in large part because playing games is a social activity, not a hide-from-the-world activity.

I just don’t think this is true. Since you brought them up, how many hours do you think the average farmville player put into the game? At their peak, how many hours a week were they playing?

The typical online game player plays a few hours a week. They don’t go on forums to talk about the game. For most big games only about 1 in 10 people who play it finish it because people just don’t devote their lives to games. Gaming is ubiquitous - I see a dozen people playing video games on public transit every day, many of them look like professionals on their way to work. It is something people do to pass time when they are bored, not something they choose as a lifestyle.

There was a time when video games were essentially an outsider activity, and so they typical player was an outsider, which means they over-represented all kinds of traits that would make it hard for someone to fit in, including obsessive disorders.

Again, I say there are far more people who have become obsessed with and lost significant parts of their lives to cards than to all online games combined. Sure, cards have been around for a lot longer, but I would be surprised if online games beat out card games in any year. And back to poker, 40 million people are playing online poker right now, with many others playing in person. Even if people who ruin their lives with those games are the “exception, not the rule” that’s still a lot of people. Lost homes, bankruptcies and suicides lie in the wake of card games, and they always have.

In find this link extremely dubious. I know lots of kids and they all love to go outside and play. Some of them would probably do it a lot more if only they were allowed. I think if you want to find the source of the obesity epidemic you should be looking at land use planning (need to drive somewhere to do anything) and our cultural obsession with safety of children (the same generation that talks about the good-old-days when they used to go out and play all day won’t let contemporary children do the same). When I was a kid and in university almost all my friends played video games. Some of them were fat and some were thin - you know, just like the general population.

I don’t know if we are living in different worlds. I grew up as a video game geek and made friends with other video game geeks. Our children are certainly interested in video games but they like to do all kinds of things. But on the destructiveness of video games vs. the destructiveness of card games, I think you are just factually incorrect.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.