Accused murderer wants "murder" tattoo hidden pre-trial

I wondered if this was legal shenanigans, maybe the lawyer trying to draw this out or mistrial or something slithery like that.

Maybe he just has memory problems and needs the reminder.

2 Likes

That tattoo will almost certainly color the juries perception of him. It would be illegal to formally introduce it as evidence against him.

That said, the state is under no obligation to make special accommodation to save him from his own poor decisions. He chose to get this tattoo, now he can live with the consequences of having it, and the possibility it might be seen by others.

If I were him, Iā€™d wear a turtle-neck.

3 Likes

I agree the tattoo should not be formally admissible as evidence, but the state is not obligated to help him hide it.

The freedom which permits for that artistic expression, does not insulate you from the impressions that art might informally leave on those who see it.

Bottom line: It was his choice to present himself to the world in this way. It is his burden alone to alter that appearance.

3 Likes

http://imgur.com/KlcAqMt

3 Likes

I would suggest him to use large adhesive plaster and pretend he has been injured or something. Or as one of previous posters suggested a neck brace. This night even earn him some sympathy.
Who is going to pay for his ā€œtattoo artistā€ hired to cover the tattoo?
If he still insists on having the tattoo covered I would suggest a thick black permanent marker. There is no need to cover his tattoo permanently for him to get a fair trial.

At the very least they are all guilty of having really poor taste in tattoos.

I pray to Darwin that no ones reproduces with these people.

1 Like

The State doesnā€™t oppose Chapmanā€™s covering the tattoo but will not transport him to a licensed tattoo shop, and itā€™s illegal for a tattoo artist to practice anywhere else.

I wonder if this is true, strictly speaking. A lot of people get tats for medical reasons to pinpoint parts of the body targeted for radiotherapy, do they have to go to a tattoo shop as well?

5 Likes

ā€œPOOR IMPULSE CONTROLā€ springs readily to mind.

9 Likes

Iā€™d be inclined to give him more of a fair shake, because police are basically lazy, and they may have just stopped investigating the minute they met this guy.

4 Likes

I will give you the point, as I am no lawyer clearly. But I think there is a line in here somewhere. There are Character witnesses that can get on the stand and say, ā€œHe is not the kind of guy that would kill someone.ā€ I think the prosecution could call his neck to rebut that assertion.

Interesting, thanks.

So as long as the defense doesnā€™t raise his character in the defense its pretty hard raise is chin high neck endorsement of murder.

Seems to me that this is an issue that comes up a lot with the tears. Even I know what a tear tat means and Iā€™m not exactly a hood dweller. I get that a tear tat would be easier to cover with some concealer, but itā€™s not really all that different.

Maybe his best bet is to shoot for an entirely illiterate jury.

1 Like

@Brainspore what an exciting adventure- Iā€™ve bookmarked for the 8 hour plane ride Iā€™ve got coming up- So glad you got a photo of the barbed teeth because thatā€™s a mental image I just couldnā€™t conjure up

1 Like

Perhaps he is just a big fan of Danny Lloydā€™s acting career?

just give him another tattoo to save time.

1 Like

Iā€™m not being sarcastic - I think that tattoo tends to incriminate rather than exonerate, which is why he wants to disguise it. It sounds like the defendant may be able to exclude the ā€œmurderā€ tattoo from the trial, although I imagine the prosecution would be able to get it introduced if there were any witnesses, e.g. ā€œdid you see any identifying features on the person you saw?ā€ ā€œYes, he had the word Murder tattooed across his neckā€ would be a valid reason to introduce it. The teardrop tattoo should be enough to inform the prejudices of the jury in any case.

The case canā€™t be decided on the tattoo alone, but it does lead me to believe that heā€™s more likely than the average man to be guilty of some crime at some point. The only argument for ignoring it is a possible miscarriage if they pin the wrong crime on him, (just because he looks as guilty as hell of something), and in doing so leave the criminal responsible for the murder they are trying at large.

I think this should prevent you from being a juror. I think itā€™s a short hop from there to saying that ā€œanyone with ugly tattoos is probably a low-life who is more likely to commit a crime.ā€

Likewise, if he likes gangsta rap, or plays God of War on his playstation, that should also be irrelevant.

The case needs to be decided on its merits alone, not on your personal opinion of what kind of person he is. And something that will obviously color the juryā€™s perception is something that could reasonably be hidden, since jurors canā€™t help but have their opinions colored.

Personally, I donā€™t know why the jury should be allowed to see the defendant at all, but Iā€™m probably going out on a limb there. I do think it would make justice a lot more ā€œblindā€ on factors such as race and class.

3 Likes

you missed the ā€œfoā€ next to the tear.

1 Like