“Actually, it's about ethics in game journalism.”

(Here’s the reference … Uck.)

1 Like

Here’s a presidential election game that I remember playing–my dad typed in in. I don’t think graphics are used; it’s just pure basic.

Presidential Power
Shogun, in the same issue, has a shape table-- hex code.

You might like this:

1 Like

Don’t forget Hot CoCo and Color Computer Magazine.

I might still have a box full of old issues back home.

1 Like

Yup. Makes Ed Norton’s job on The Honeymooners look positively white collar.

1 Like

I hope you’re getting some unicorn chasers after wading through all this matey!

My humble contribution toward the form (hadn’t seen this take yet)

4 Likes

I think this is actually a troll knowing he’s been bested and feigning naive, but still great.

2 Likes

1 Like

@MBD - this is for you.

1 Like

5 Likes

This is excellent, experts doing this with professional tools rather than some guy with crude python scripts. And they’re also judging sentiment. I just wish they would examine other fora than just twitter because then it would address gater arguments that twitter somehow doesn’t matter.

Wait, did I just praise Newsweek? The world has gone mad.

Slips on a sandwich board, rushes outside, and walks down the sidewalk ringing a bell, “The end times are surely upon us! The hashtag of the beast is spreading! Dogs and cats are sleeping together! Mass hysteria!”

Edit: misspelled than
Edit 2: The comments on that Newsweek article are spreading that deceptive “they [sic] keywords mentioned are less than %10” argument.

Even more annoying though is the following counterargument (which I’ve now seen multiple times): “It should also be no surprise to you that people more active on twitter receive more tweets. Compare the number of tweets received in the tag to total number of tweets a user has. You will find that it correlates almost directly with their activity on twitter, with the two men being less active on twitter in general and generally less antagonistic as well.”

This is a non sequitur. If I start a book club that purports to be about cyberpunk and we actually spend the bulk of our time talking about westerns, I could rightly be accused of false advertising. If western authors were more prolific than cyberpunk authors, if western novels were getting all the press and dominating the bestseller lists, if westerns novels were more controversial, it still wouldn’t mean we get to call ourselves a cyberpunk book club when we spend the bulk of our time talking about westerns.

I wish we could get people to swarm these comment threads and refute these fallacious arguments and deceptive, cherry-picked numbers.

4 Likes

I’ve now analyzed 2437 comments from three Ars Technica articles. In contrast to YouTube, I was able to gather 100% of the Ars Technica comments. 560 are from After #GamerGate tweet, Adobe distances itself from Gawker “bullying.” 1383 are from Intel issues #GamerGate apology, still not advertising at Gamasutra. 494 are from Chat logs show how 4chan users created #GamerGate controversy. Here are the results:

The LWs (excluding Alexander) get 1502 mentions.
Feminism and social justice get 1137 mentions.
Quinn gets 828 mentions.
Sarkeesian gets 558 mentions.
The gamejournopros mailing list gets 195 mentions.
Day gets 191 mentions.
Grayson gets 126 mentions.
Wu gets 116 mentions.
The Sagal-Pinsof controversy gets 112 mentions.
The Hernandez-Anthropy allegations get 85 mentions.
Australian games journalism gets 19 mentions.
Shadow of Mordor gets 17 mentions.
The IGF/Indiecade allegations get 12 mentions.
DMCA abuse gets 9 mentions.

Quinn gets 4 times more mentions than the most popular corruption allegations, the gamejournopros mailing list. This is looking like a pattern.

12 Likes

DAAAAAMN. Some poor fool in HPD&MC is gonna get clone X+1ed.

5 Likes

it has been there for so long now. its a landmark.

A strawman seems appropriate:

12 Likes

Glad you also count mentions of LW, as that’s how GG now prefer to call Quinn (LW1) and Sarkeesian (LW2). Cute how they try to pretend they’re gone from memory (LW = Literally Who) while obfuscating who they’re still obsessing about (1502 mentions of LW, more than anything else).

3 Likes

It’s also no coincidence that the language the trolls use is straight out of “redpill” predator-advice/bitterness-support forums.

4 Likes